Author Topic: How to disable automatic updates in Avast 2015?  (Read 11743 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How to disable automatic updates in Avast 2015?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »
The topic you have set:
How to disable automatic updates in Avast 2015?
And now you say:
It's not about how to disable updates

You still haven't told what os/sp you are using.
You still haven't told what exact version of avast you are using.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
Guys...the poster is asking "why his personal settings do "not" stick and/or "saved".?"
I strongly disagree with his reasoning but the poster should try a repair...

Control Panel>uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2014, 03:30:35 PM »
Para-Noid,

I agree.  Avast has a problem retaining user settings, especially after Windows restart.  Some settings are not saved at all.  In some installs, an Avast repair or clean reinstall doesn't help.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 05:41:16 PM »
One thing I do every single day is to shut my laptop down completely.
Too many people use sleep mode and end up with other issues that a
reboot will often resolve.

I have noticed several users complaining about settings not being saved.
Hopefully this will be fixed with the next release...whenever that will be.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 08:26:27 AM »
As snowball said, it isn't about not updating, but about the settings not sticking, and that is a pain.

On the autoupdate or not there are reasons for choosing manual and one will give the auto fans some disquieting times. I prefer manual because rather than interrupting what I'm doing I can choose when the update (and perhaps reboot) will happen. Basically I set them to go while I'm having dinner and don't need the system. This delay doesn't compromise my security.

If you are under such imminent threat of malware that you require streaming updates every 10 minutes then your life will be a lot easier if you simply stop visiting pr0n and hacking sites and stop giving your email addy to every scam that you see on the net. That alone will decrease your vulnerability by 95%. ;)

An interesting thing about viruses and malware that most people don't think about are their targets. It's accepted that they will do a number of things, but the very first thing they do is try to silently disable the antivirus and the updater. This way the malicious program can do it's work unmolested and even when Avast, AVG or whoever create a fix, your system won't download it anyway. The really cool thing about autoupdate is that you don't need to do anything and the program doesn't have to talk to you or ask permission for anything. Of course, this also means that unless you actually open the program and look, you have no way of knowing whether it's actually working or not. ;) I'll repeat that, you have no way of knowing if the autoupdate feature is actually working or not. Think about that for a while.

So while your compromised system is being used for all sorts of things and the bad guys are preparing to clean out your bank account and max your credit cards, you'll be here telling everyone how well protected you are. If they don't clean you out or do anything else really obvious, you might be wondering sometime around October next year why your AV hasn't updated to the 2016 version yet and realise then that you have a problem.

Scared yet?

Now while I think 4 hours is a bit excessive, I can handle it. Every 4 hours my Avast asks me to do an update and it bugs the hell out of me. And that's what I want. Regardless of which AV program you choose, or whether it's every 4 hours or just daily, those requests tell me that the program is fully functional and working and that I'm protected. If there is a successful infection the requests for an update will stop. With this warning I can pull the network plug and do what is required to clean the system, knowing that the bastard child of the son of a bitch black hat cannot do anything or call for help.

So if by some freak chance an autoupdate fan and I both got hit by the same infection, he'll find out either when the bank account is empty or around October next year, I'll know when the requests stop, a maximum of 4 hours. ;) By taking an active role in your system security you are constantly checking that all programs are working correctly. When the requests stop, something has changed and must be investigated.

I do accept that the logic is convoluted, but it saved my arse a couple of times. ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 05:10:29 PM »
The streaming updates are so tiny, a few kb at the most, system impact is negligent or non existent.
No, I prefer to have the most up-to-date protection I can get.

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2014, 02:45:02 AM »
Fair enough, so do I. But I'm also realistic enough to acknowledge the lag involved. "The most up to date" can actually be weeks old. ;)

To negate a threat takes time. Firstly it has to be found, then analysed, then put into the queue and finally fixed. Depending on where the new threat is placed in the queue and then how difficult it is to beat, the cure could take a day or a week.

Because of the lag time we users are always exposed to the "latest threats". (A little logical fact that doesn't get talked about) We exist in the period between when a threat hits the net and when the innoculation becomes available. Technically speaking, we are always unprotected against the very latest threats. To think otherwise is to say that the moment a new threat appears, the cure is found and is in the stream. It doesn't work that way.

Because of the lag there is always the chance (regardless of which AV or other security you use) that you will be infected in the time between the threat getting free and the cure being made. The very real difference here is that if it happened to both of us your streaming and updating would stop and you would be none the wiser, but I'll know because the update requests would stop.

I'm paranoid you see. I don't just want things to work, I want them to bother me so that I know they still working. ;) The interwebs are a jungle and like a jungle silence can mean something very unpleasant is about to happen. ;)