Author Topic: Browser Security and Web rep plugin  (Read 4251 times)

REDACTED

Browser Security and Web rep plugin
« on: November 24, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
I have a web page that contains Amazon links to books available on Amazon. When I load this page in Firefox the links do not show, the spaces where they should be are blank. If I use IE the links show.
I note that if I disable the Avast 'Browser Security and Web Reputation' plugin that is on my Firefox browser or start in safe mode then the links are visible.
I guess this means that anyone accessing that page from a Firefox browser that has that Avast plugin will only see blank spaces and think it is an unfinished web page or such.
Anyone know if Avast is aware that the plugin causes this and if so, is it being remedied with a later upgrade?

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
Re: Browser Security and Web rep plugin
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »
Simply go to add/remove, right click on avast and click on change, and only uninstall the browser security add-on. After it gets uninstalled. Restart your computer manually.

During the past years or so the add-on has been causing issues as of late. File Shield and Web Shield will protect your computer from threats.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:00:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply Staticguy - but I was thinking more along the line that a remote visitor to the web page (if they use Avast) would not be able to see the content and assume it's a web page fault. Was hoping Avast was doing something about that.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:35:47 PM »
This as best solved by removing the browser protection.
If a user does not have browser protection then the page will load normally.
However sometimes pages react differently due to browser add-ons, such as
NoScript and Request Policy among others. Just because someone uses avast
does not necessarily mean a webpage will load incorrectly. It also depends upon
the users settings in the Avast Online Security.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:06:25 AM »
Thanks for the reply Staticguy - but I was thinking more along the line that a remote visitor to the web page (if they use Avast) would not be able to see the content and assume it's a web page fault. Was hoping Avast was doing something about that.

Your welcome. No need to worry after the browser add-on (Avast Online Security) has been removed. As I said before the web and fie shield will protect you against the latest threats while browsing on the internet.
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
But how can TheScorpion tell his web viewers/clients to remove the AOS if they cannot see his site in the first place?

Gordon.

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 10:21:42 PM »
Oh I forgot that he has a webpage on Amazon... Thanks for pointing that one out. I guess post a message on his website saying that to remove AOS in order to view links containing books.