Author Topic: All of my shields are turned off but avast says everything is fine?  (Read 2774 times)

Offline AssaultSugar

So yeah avast says everything is ok but looking into and settings all of shirlds barring firewall are in the greyed out off setting. What is the meaning of this and why cant I turn them back on?

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: All of my shields are turned off but avast says everything is fine?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 04:54:04 PM »
Try a repair...Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline AssaultSugar

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:19:15 PM »
Try a repair...Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot.

went and uninstalled NG also completely unistalled malware bytes with the clean.exe and this seems to have turned all of my shields back on along with reducing the 100% disk usage problem. however im wondering why it regularly fluctuates between 0 and like 40-50%+ usage for brief split second moments is this normal/suppose to happen?

Also FYI I have Avast Suite

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »
NG will produce CPU spikes from rime to time. You really didn't need to uninstall
MBAM since it does not conflict with avast. I was hoping a repair would fix your
issue. Please run a repair as I outlined above. BTW you can safely re-install MBAM.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Offline AssaultSugar

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »
NG will produce CPU spikes from rime to time. You really didn't need to uninstall
MBAM since it does not conflict with avast. I was hoping a repair would fix your
issue. Please run a repair as I outlined above. BTW you can safely re-install MBAM.

no dude it wasnt spiking it was a persistent disk usage of 100% no matter what. I uninstalled NG first but that didnt do anything then after uninstalling MBAM that fixed the problem. Im still very hesitant to re install MBAM because of this. Still ill run a repair of Avast anyway

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »
Waiting for a response....

You may need to make an exclusion for MBAM.
GUI>Settings>scroll down to "Exclusions" and expand (click on the tiny arrow)>click "File Paths">click "Add">select file path.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:19 PM »
You may need to add avast to your exclusions in MBAM also.