Author Topic: how to check if an attachement is ifected.  (Read 1769 times)

REDACTED

how to check if an attachement is ifected.
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:33:59 AM »
Hello!

I have just received an e-mail from Google saying something like this: we believe in web security and data privacy therefore we want to make sure that all the google account are safe. Check our new security policy attached.
I have opened the attachement and there was only small text and a link to website to check the policy. I have found that suspicious and I so I have realized that e-mail was not really coming from google but from renarddusable66@gmail.com which is clearly not an official google address.

This seems to me clearly a virus, and luckily I have clicked on the link but I have opened  with my android phone the pdf attached which might  contain  virus. So now I would like to understand if that pdf really contains malaware and if yes to what kind of threats I have been exposed to.
I am an avast premium customer and both my laptop and my phone are protected with avast. Is there any way to send you guys the e-mail I have received so that you understand if it is  a new virus and let me if my device could be infected?
Thanks
Matteo

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: how to check if an attachement is ifected.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:59:23 AM »
how to check if an attachement is ifected
upload and test suspicious file(s) here  www.virustotal.com  /  www.metascan-online.com   if scanned before, click rescan for fresh result
you may post link to scan result here

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: how to check if an attachement is ifected.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:18:03 AM »
1]
It is not a virus

2]
It is not new
It is just phishing.

3]
Use common sense.
Don't just click on anything.
Hover your mouse over it and see what it say about the link/attachment or right click it and choose properties to find out more.