Author Topic: No e-mails are scanned for a long time. Avast Internet Security  (Read 1623 times)

REDACTED

Well, the headline says it all really. All systems are activated and has always been. Using W8.1, W Defender turned off. Discovered today many attempted log-ins at my M Live account with wrong password. I don´t know how long this has been going on, found out about that and the history function by a happy accident. Notification from Live turned off, but that can be of my doing. Fixed that, changed and upgraded password both att Live and here.

So, why doesn´t Avast scan my e-mails? And how can i be absolutely, possitively withouth the shadow of a doubt certain that this very program isn´t infected and that´s the reason why?

Please give me the answers in a form that a 5 yo would understand. As you may have noticed i am not the ultimate user of computers (or English) and my skills at computer language are at best very limited.

Thanks from Sweden!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: No e-mails are scanned for a long time. Avast Internet Security
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 02:54:07 PM »
tjena grabben   ;)

how do you access your mail?

do you logg in on website like here  https://login.live.com    or do you use a mail client like outlook experess/ thunderbird/opera mail client

avast mail shield only scan if you use a mail client, if you logg in on website all traffic is scanned by web shield

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 03:01:56 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 03:36:41 PM »
Hallå där!
I have always logged in the lazy way through the starting position i W8.1. That doesn´t work now, the program wants me to verify myself and that doesn´t work, i can not log in that way. However logging in the Firefox way and directly to login/live.com works perfectly. To me that is strange and suspiscious.

Ok, so you mean that i should always log in that way to get my mails scanned? Do i have to change any settings in Avast for that to work?

Tack för hjälpen!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 04:02:19 PM »
I have always logged in the lazy way through the starting position i W8.1.
you mean using the app in win 8 ... dont have win 8 so have not used it

However logging in the Firefox way and directly to login/live.com works perfectly. To me that is strange and suspiscious.
that is how i use it also, but if you logg in from another IP (normaly not used) you will get a message to confirme it is you
happens to me evry time i log in from work

Ok, so you mean that i should always log in that way to get my mails scanned?
you can log in anyway you want, but avast mailshield will only work if you use a mail client
Microsoft protect all mail accounts using TrendMicro virus scan on there mail server and they have there own spam filter so your mail is protected. and as said when using web mail it is scanned by avast web shield

what is a mail client 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_client
http://email.about.com/od/windowsemailclients/tp/free_email_prog.htm

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:03:50 PM by Pondus »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 11:27:48 AM »
Ok, have finally found some time to take a look at this. Since i use Firefox it feels obvious to a rookie like me to use Thunderbird as Email client. It should be the easiest way to go I hope.

My question is this, i´m using Outlook today and therefore a live.com adress. Can I keep that adress or do I have to get a new one?