Poll

Network Shield and Kerio 4.2.2

choice1
1 (50%)
choice2
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Network Shield and Kerio 4.2.2  (Read 4801 times)

Jarmo P

Network Shield and Kerio 4.2.2
« on: November 09, 2005, 10:44:57 AM »
I have the problem with Kerio that over longer running periods, once or twice/day Kerio stops working. No internet connection.
I can connect if I exit from Kerio and turn XP SP2 firewall on.
Or if I reboot.

These have been posted it Kerio forum:
http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=7550&start=0&S=ab4c0a530ce1bec3b306d68da0f2228a
http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=7590&start=0&S=ab4c0a530ce1bec3b306d68da0f2228a

I have now disabled Network Shield and will see if that helps. Fairly confident it is safe to do since Avast never gave me warnings running Kerio about network attacks.

Anyone experienced similar problems?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Network Shield and Kerio 4.2.2
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 11:58:24 AM »
Jarmo, until now, no problems on Kerio being disable, on contrary, I can't stop the service whatever I try.
Anyway, other troubles with Kerio GUI I have a lot. Icon in system tray runs two processes (one by the System account and other by the user account, plus the Service at System account). On automatic logon, I always get the error "Couldn't reach the Service"... some seconds, the message disapears by itself, more seconds and the icon appears.
Sometimes, opening the GUI and you receive a 'monitor' freeze... all messed.
The best things in life are free.

Jarmo P

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 07:16:15 PM »
Tech, that there are 2 GUI's, SYSTEM and your user account is normal I think. I have read so anyways.

I have no other problems than one I mentioned, but it bugs me. I run instant messengers and skype. If Kerio stops working, no one can contact me :P

zivilist

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 08:42:14 PM »
poll only with:

choice1
choice2

Can you complete creating the poll?  ;D

sded

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 11:14:56 PM »
I have been running Kerio 4.2.2 with the latest Avast! since it came out-no problems.  XP Pro, SP2.

Jarmo P

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 04:47:09 PM »
By terminating Avast's Network Shield I have not experienced anymore Kerio stopping my internet connection. Mysterious, but problem seems to be solved.

Since Kerio 4.2.2 blocks all incoming connection attempts during the boot and shutdown of the operating system and I have configured my firewall properly I believe, I have no need for that  Avast feature.

For that time the connection stopped and loggings too, I have a relative secure feeling having run that Network Shield without any alerts ;)

Just wish someone would be able to say having experienced the same problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 05:36:03 PM »
Since Kerio 4.2.2 blocks all incoming connection attempts during the boot and shutdown of the operating system and I have configured my firewall properly I believe, I have no need for that  Avast feature.
The best firewall I ever tested on boot/shutdown, Kerio is the best on protection, even when you think it's not running, the low level process is protecting you.
Problem is auto logon, there is no time to the GUI connect the service and we get an error message at startup.
Oh, sorry, this is not related to your problem. Anyway, if I can test anything... I have NetShield running without problems.
The best things in life are free.

Jarmo P

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 07:38:57 PM »
Kerio has been running fine after I disabled Avast's Network Shield.
Now in the new version of Avast I am going to to put that on again and see what happens ;)

Will post my experiences, though they might only be restricted to something I have else in my computer installed, but I will give a report in this thread if Kerio stops again.

Jarmo

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 07:47:59 PM »
Strange problem... I'm using Kerio already for 3 weeks and it works perfectly here...  :-\