Author Topic: Backing up Quicken on USB flash drive in SafeZone  (Read 2143 times)

REDACTED

Backing up Quicken on USB flash drive in SafeZone
« on: June 11, 2015, 10:24:07 AM »
 :o

It has been a wonderful week here in cyber land.  Quicken quit working after one of Microsoft's wonderful updates.  Quicken would open in both desktop and SafeZone but then freeze.  For YEARS I assumed that running Quicken in SafeZone was the way to go because- well "SAFEZONE".  I restored my Windows system from my backup offline hdd and thought all would be okay since I have been backing up my Quicken data to a USB flash drive all along.

I have searched the archives here and I see that people have trouble accessing files that they download while in SafeZone and that doesn't exactly apply here (although I fear the answer will be about the same.)

I have used Quicken in SafeZone for several years and after MANY attempts to get my data back here is what I figured out-

Any Quicken data files on a USB flash drive that is used for a backup in SafeZone is completely invisible outside of SafeZone.  Explore your flash drive in the Quicken folder that you have been backing up to for years and there are no files at all.

Any Quicken data files that you backup in your system are invisible inside the program in SafeZone.  Click on restore and try to direct it to your flash drive and the program crashes.

It took me 3 days of banging my head on my keyboard to figure out WHY I have completely different data using Quicken on my desktop vs SafeZone and I still don't completely understand it because both instances are accessing the EXACT SAME FILE on my computer.  All I can really understand about the situation is that somewhere in the Microsoft updates my computer had no idea which version of the Quicken file it was supposed to display and Quicken wouldn't work in or out of SafeZone.

The questions- Once I rebuild my Quicken account files (Oh how I loath the amount of work it is going to take) should I just run it in SafeZone exclusively?  Can I be sure that my files are even getting backed up on a flash drive since there is no way to confirm invisible files?  Should I just run Quicken on my desktop and, since I run a Windows system, just hold my breath and hope none of my transactions get highjacked? 

Am I wrong that there really is no way to keep Quicken synced even though the desktop and SafeZone are using the same file? How is it that the same file can have different data?  That is some impressive voodoo.   ???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Backing up Quicken on USB flash drive in SafeZone
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 10:57:37 AM »
What happens in the SafeZone stays in the SafeZone unless you have changed the setting so it can share files outside of it.
The other way around is also true.
What happens outside the SafeZone stays outside.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 11:40:58 AM »
What setting do I change to make it possible for a program's backup file on a flash drive to be read outside of SafeZone?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 04:52:39 AM »
I've had the same problem with Quicken back-ups and spent an hour with the Avast tech reps to no avail.  But here's what works at least on Windows.  Locate Windows Explorer on your hard drive - it's probably somewhere in The Windows folder. Open SafeZone and click on 'Bookmark new application'.   Bookmark Windows Explorer.  Open Windows Explorer in SafeZone and all those files that you could never see before are suddenly visible.  No charge!