Author Topic: Vista cant boot anymore, FRST / ZeroAccess?  (Read 1611 times)

REDACTED

Vista cant boot anymore, FRST / ZeroAccess?
« on: August 19, 2015, 11:27:09 PM »
Hello,

Friend gave me this laptop that stopped booting, showed a progress bar a while then goes in a loop.

Recovery did manage to start, but cant fix (gives a CorruptVolume?), but doing a F8 boot I noticed it got stuck on one of the asw*.sys files and went in a reboot.

Attached the log, did show a 'ZeroAccess' notice (though I cant get in a normal boot to get FRST running), I did try a fixlist.txt I found in another topic, to the point it quickly shows a BSOD (like 0.1sec) and went in reboot, F8 still goes stuck on the asw.sys file.

Though due the CorruptVolume info, I did a chkdsk and did notice 4 bad sectors, I just wanna be sure this is a dying harddrive rather then a virus/Trojan that's crippling Vista.

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Vista cant boot anymore, FRST / ZeroAccess?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 06:12:47 AM »
What part of the warnings in RED did you not understand?  Just asking so we can give better directions....

Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the USB drive you ran FRST from.  Plug the drive into the infected machine and get to the Recovery Environment again:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

• Right-click on icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the USB drive, called Fixlog.txt.
Please attach it to your reply.
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 05:14:55 PM »
I already doublechecked most entries in the fixlist, apart of 3 lines its identical to the one you attached.

Anyway, attached the log.

Went in a loop again, but did managed to get a BSOD error this time (c000021a, so must be user-mode).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:16:42 PM by broozerx »

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 07:09:26 AM »
Does the F8 boot (Safe Mode ?) still get stuck at a asw*.sys file?
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE