Author Topic: The tray icon suggestion  (Read 2337 times)

REDACTED

The tray icon suggestion
« on: December 10, 2015, 09:42:24 PM »
Hello,

I am a new user and installed Avast yesterday. It works fine and so far so good. My only suggestion is that when we hoover the mouse cursor over the tray icon while it animating, there should be a message telling users what process it is processing instead of always stating the same message "You are protected". The message "You are protected" is good to be seen when the icon is sitting idle...not when it's working on something. The bottom line is we need the tray icon to be more informative if that is possible to Avast developers.

Besides that, everything else is fine and working well.

Thank you for reading this and kudos to the Avast team for building good stuff.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: The tray icon suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:49:35 PM »
In the past avast was able to show what it was scanning in real time, but that was a bad idea.
If it would show you, you would get a huge list or things will change so fast that you can't read them anyway.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 12:11:27 AM »
Thank you for the info, Eddy. Actually, it would be nice to see just a few words such as "scanning file abc.." or "checking website abc...". There is no need to go in detail because I wouldn't want to read that either.

Hope that helps.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 12:26:10 AM »
That's the problem file/web/mail shields would all have scanning activity - that activity would somehow have to be recorded in order to be retrieved when you hover over the tray icon. It isn't very practical as recording this data would also be using both cpu and hard disk activity. Or possibly leach the Statistics Realtime Data

The only area with any sort of practical application of this is the Statistics - Realtime Data and that shows the last five so would be more practical.

But in all honesty I find the information in the Statistics area to be very poor and limited, having the same functionality in the tray icon with only one entry would be even more limited. By the time you moved your mouse to the tray icon activity may well have changed many times, so you are unlikely to see any data info you wanted before moving the mouse.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 12:46:20 AM »
Thank you DavidR. Every once in awhile the Avast tray icon started animating and I was wondering what is going on with my computer that's all. It's not that big deal but it would be nice to see some info on it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:14:27 AM »
The animation is just indicating it is scanning, this will most likely be related to what you are actually doing at the time.

The main problem being there could be activity on many things at the same time, programs running in the background, browsing the web, etc. The issue then would be trying to pinpoint exactly what it was at that time, before you even got to the tray icon to check.

The Statistics section may well be your best bet given it displays the last 5 items of scan activity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 01:14:43 AM »
There is the option "verbose logging".
You can read the log files to see what has happened/scanned and such.

And as I said, it will go to fast to read anyway.
You will see "now scanning..." and before you can read the rest it is already scanning something else.