Author Topic: Is necessary to reinstall Avast! everytime I have to force shutdown my laptop?  (Read 2536 times)

REDACTED

Hello everyone.
I'm currently using AIS, and unfortunately, today and yesterday, I had to force shutdown Windows 3 times (because of a game, because of the system freeze, and also because of a strange bug). After every forced shutdown (except the last one, that happened almost now), I reinstalled Avast! from scratch, but doing this is becoming kinda annoying.

I already scanned the PC with 3 scanners, and nothing found.
I believe that my PC is fine and clean, but the question is: Do I have to reinstall Avast! or I just need to repair it after a forced shutdown?

I want the AV to be working really well and without problems, so that's why I'm asking.

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You shouldn't have to reinstall avast every time - on this old XP system on occasion it locks up (and I have had it happen on win7) - I just do a hard Power off (5 seconds or more on the power button). I have never had to reinstall avast.

So there obviously has to be more to this, so why are you reinstalling, what error or message from avast would require you to do this ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

You shouldn't have to reinstall avast every time - on this old XP system on occasion it locks up (and I have had it happen on win7) - I just do a hard Power off (5 seconds or more on the power button). I have never had to reinstall avast.

So there obviously has to be more to this, so why are you reinstalling, what error or message from avast would require you to do this ?

I'm reinstalling because once Avast! acted strange after a forced shutdown (it disabled every shield when using pay mode in Safe Zone, Sandbox didn't worked, etc), and even the repair wasn't enough to make it return to normal, so I reinstalled and it was all fine later.

So maybe a little scared of it being corrupted after the shutdown. I don't know how stable and how good it's is against unexpected shutdowns...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
When this happens, e.g. avast acting weird and Safe Zone, Sandbox not working.

Try rebooting first and see if that is enough, though a Repair should be enough for minor issues, but I would also reboot after a Repair.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

When this happens, e.g. avast acting weird and Safe Zone, Sandbox not working.

Try rebooting first and see if that is enough, though a Repair should be enough for minor issues, but I would also reboot after a Repair.

Hmm, ok them.
I already did a repair (for safety purposes), but it looks all good now.