Author Topic: New trojan  (Read 4136 times)

DV7

New trojan
« on: January 26, 2006, 01:15:20 AM »
I found a trojan that claims to be an old version of Sygate Personal Firewall.

I downloaded it from :

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Access_Control_Utilities/(delink)Sygate_Personal_Firewall_Download.html(delink)

The trojan displays a dos window with a bouncing cursor, while printing off a lot of blank pages from the printer.

Edit : Added (delink) to prevent auto download for ppl who follow the link....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 07:28:01 AM by DV7 »

CharleyO

Re: New trojan
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:45:17 AM »

Would a moderator please de-activate the above link. It takes you straight to the download!!!    :o    ::)

Some newbies to computing might not know how to stop such a download!    >:(

mauserme

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 04:02:50 AM »
Hey DV7,

If you need to draw attention to a bad web site you should change it so its not an active link.  Something like

http://www (dot) freedownloadscenter (dot) com/Utilities/Access_Control_Utilities/Sygate_Personal_Firewall_Download (dot) html[/url]

This way everyone understands what you mean but nobody gets a bad download by mistake.

But, what is your reason for posting?  Do you need help after downloading this on your pc?

DV7

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 07:30:31 AM »
I'm posting this because it wasnt detected, and I think ppl should know about it.  I sent it to avast, so they should figure it out... I just wanted to be sure because I'm not sure if avast ever gets my files or not......

As far as I know all it does is move the dos cursor around and print blank pages.

mauserme

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 01:14:05 PM »
I'm posting this because it wasnt detected, and I think ppl should know about it.
OK.  Hopefully someone from the avast! team is investigating.

If you haven't already you might want to let the people at that other web site know there's a problem they should clean up.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 03:17:11 PM »
I'm posting this because it wasnt detected, and I think ppl should know about it.  I sent it to avast, so they should figure it out... I just wanted to be sure because I'm not sure if avast ever gets my files or not......

As far as I know all it does is move the dos cursor around and print blank pages.
Your right to bring it to the attention of avast, they will be able to investigate the url without it being active. You can't be totally sure that it only moves the cursor.

So to ensure the link isn't live can modify your post as suggested so no one else accidentally clicks an active link.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security