Author Topic: Pro was Fine, IS Is Causing Massive Lagging, Sound Distortion Issues  (Read 2425 times)

REDACTED

I just upgraded to Internet Security from the Pro version I'd been using over the past couple of years.  I suddenly had problems with a weird lag in responses of the computer in general (when typing, using mouse) and it's most noticeable in when sound lags and then distorts into a huge buzzing sound. In fact its just in the last day that I realized that there were issues besides sound.

I have seen this described elsewhere on this board and the solution was to turn off the Windows firewall.  I notice with IS that this isn't a possibility.  I assume that IS either uses the existing Windows firewall or turns it off and replaces with its own.

The problem is a little better just after I reboot.

I'm running Windows 7 on an AMD 64-bit system.  I'm using external stereo speakers (not part of my monitor).  I'm about to upgrade to Windows 10, but don't want to do it until this issue is resolved as it would just add more variables.

I can't have this. I use Skype to communicate with clients.  Can you help me fix it, or can I replace IS with the Pro version that was so great for so long?

Thanks!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Pro was Fine, IS Is Causing Massive Lagging, Sound Distortion Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 07:32:38 PM »
- Which version of AIS..?
- Other security related software installed..?
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »
Was this a clean installation of IS or a upgrade to it ?
Already checked if a repair of avast is changing things ?
Does the sound also "lags" if you play a plain mp3 with a tool like e.g. VLC ?

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 05:26:11 AM »
Which version of AIS?  11.2.2262.  I'm not runnning any other security software.  I do use the free version of malware bytes, but that does not automatically monitor the system, just is used manually to do a scan. 

This was an upgrade. Well, it was time to renew my license and it was either yes or no for IS.  Previously I was using "Pro," (Don't know what version) but that is no longer offered?  Is IS now the same thing?  Seems like it has more features.  Maybe that's the thing, just uninstall and reinstall?  "If a repair is changing things?"  How to repair?

The sound is bad no matter what program is running the file.  Most noticeable when playing videos and online ads, but it also impacts iTunes, for example.   If you search this board for "lagging" and "sound," you'll see that the problem seems to be with Avast.  I have also googled this problem and Win7 and Win10 have similar issues sometimes (solved usually by turning off all sound "enhancements," which I have also done), but there were cases of Norton causing a similar problem, which is when I realized that this started at the exact same time I upgraded/renewed to IS.

Is there a clean uninstall tool before I reinstall?  Should I do this?  Hate to turn it off or uninstall leaving me vulnerable.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 06:53:17 AM »
1. Download Avast Internet Security: https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed Avast versions..!!)
3. Reinstall Avast with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 07:01:14 AM »
Asyn, thanks for the instructions.   This seems to have done the trick (clean uninstall and fresh install of IS).  I've played sound long enough that even with the fresh reboot, symptoms should have showed up by now, and they haven't.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 07:24:45 AM »
You're welcome.