Author Topic: .lnk file extension virus  (Read 15791 times)

fnash

.lnk file extension virus
« on: January 25, 2006, 05:08:32 AM »
OS is XP. all my files have been changed to the .lnk extension and nothing will run. I get the message Windows cannot start this file. Even when running in safe mode an .EXE file will not run... I do  not know the name of this virus or where I even got it from as I do not use this computer for email. Could anyone be of help? Thank You.  fnash

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: .lnk file extension virus
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 05:26:01 AM »
Hi fnash and welcome to the forums
I do not know what is causing your problem however I ran a search
using "virus changed extension to .lnk" and there many results
Sorry I can not be of more help
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 08:09:58 AM »
This guy had the same problem and found a fix at this forum, You'll have to read down a bit.

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/132017.html

It's under Response Number 6.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

fnash

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2006, 10:19:14 PM »
Thank both of you guys for the help. Marc57, thanks again to you as that forum answered and cured my problem. No reformat necessary, which is what I feared. Now I have both the XP fix and the Link fix on CD. Handy if I need it again.. It was like magic... Thanks and hope I can help out sometime also...... fnash

fnash

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 04:44:21 PM »
As mentioned in the above message the problem WAS fixed but it returned. Now the two fix it files will not work. So I am back to square one. I could use any additional help. Thank You,    fnash

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 05:08:56 PM »

Perhaps this may help you some. Please read the "Specific Notes" part in particular.

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=LNK

Also, seems like I remember reading something about SpySheriff (adware) being "linked" with this issue but I can not find that now.