Author Topic: Beagle not detected by Avast in P2P and by analysis  (Read 3170 times)

Falcon

Beagle not detected by Avast in P2P and by analysis
« on: February 17, 2006, 11:26:30 AM »
Hi,

I have the last version of Avast and all up to date files. The last night, I downloaded from emule a file (ZIP file which contains a .exe file). It was a crack for windows defender and I wanted to test my P2P shield.

The file was downloaded on my disk. Avast didn't detect inside the archive that a virus file was inside it. Next, I unzipped the . exe file and put it on my dektop. I launched the Avast scanning on this exe file and nothing wrong was detected. So I thought that everything was ok and I decided to launch the exe file.

When Iaunched it, I received at the bottom of my screen something like (it was very fast) "Beagle virus detected". Next, The firewall (XP SP2) and Avast were deactivated and It was impossible to repair everything. When I tried to launch it manually, Avast report me some errors like .dll were not found etc… . I had to format my disk.

Can you tell me how I can prevent this kind of bad adventure in the future ? My P2P was activated and resident program was ok with all thing.

I tested Avast with Eicar files few days ago and everything was ok.

I am very grateful for your help.

Best regards,

mauserme

Re: Beagle not detected by Avast in P2P and by analysis
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:48:23 PM »
Can you tell me how I can prevent this kind of bad adventure in the future ?
Hi Falcon,

This is kind of basic but if you want to avoid this in the future don't do it anymore.

The first line of defense for your computer is common sense.  There are always new virii and until they are discovered and signatures are written they will often slip past the best of the av programs.  Also, no av is 100% .  If you, the user, stay away from bad sites and are careful about what you download you will go a long toward protecting your pc.

If you still have the downloaded file I'm sure the avast! team would like to have a sample, but it sounds like its gone now.

Falcon

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 02:19:12 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I don't have the file. I downlaoded this kind of file because I wanted to test my P2P shield. I don't often download bad files, but I am affraid that my brother download this kind of file and I wanted to be sure that there is no risk about it.

Thanks,

bye

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 02:50:41 PM »
Well,  I would advise against downloading a file known to be infected under any circumstances.  It just doesn't seem like a good way to test since failing the test has so many repercussions.

lovelyperson

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 03:10:33 PM »
 :) Similar thing from P2P...Avast grabbed it,chose to put it in the 'chest'.

Result of Jotti scan.

[

Nasty... quite a bit of messing afterwards.

Got to agree, P2P sites..trouble expected....no such thing as a 'freebie'.

we live and learn though.....thats why I USE AVAST!

:-X lovelyperson

Spiritsongs

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 06:39:10 PM »
 :)  Hi Falcon & Lovelyperson :

Why anyone would be using a P2P when there is a safer &
     cleaner alternative in "Shareaza" from www.shareaza.com
     available is beyond me !?
     And Falcon : you should have a better firewall than the 1/2
     of firewall that is Win XP SP2's ! There are free ones out
     there that provide outbound protection as well as inbound
     protection .