Author Topic: Avast reports my app as a virus!  (Read 4369 times)

REDACTED

Avast reports my app as a virus!
« on: January 22, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »
Ok so i load up my development enviroment and continue work on my app, send it to my phone and WHAM avast tells me that RPG Generator has been reported as a suspicious app, now i have had an email before telling me that my app was virus infected and the user uninstalled it and advised all his friends to do the same (it was not a polite email) and i just assumed that they had a virus and decieded to blame me...i have thick skin after all though knowing a user was telling people my app is a virus was annoying a im a lone developer.
So here is my big disclaimer:
My app RPG Generator does not (nor has it ever) contain a virus!
Please stop slandering my apps reputation !
link to the app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrgreaper2004gmail.rpggenerator

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.

REDACTED

Re: Avast reports my app as a virus!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 10:06:51 PM »
This would mean submitting each version of my app as i release......
Right now im on my laptop out and about, i have no access to my past builds, clearly something has gone wrong with thier detection system, however they are more then free to pull each build from google play (im not sure how you can get an apk file from the store but im guessing there is a way) and test them, they will not find a single virus.

I am sat here wondering how long Avast has been accusing my app of being a virus, how many users saw that message and uninstalled my app as a result of it, how many people see my name and think "ah yes thats the guy that tried to infect my phone"

This is why my slightly hostile response, the avast team did not send me an email to say "hay your app is flagged as suspicious, heres why" (mostly because there is nothing virus like in my app, its a pretty basic app) i simply decided to install avast on my phone and the first time i go to load my app (in this case the development version) i get the warning.

The fact as well says its been reported as a suspicious app rings a few alarms, i would believe you guys test apps that get reported to you and dont simply take the reporters word for it? google play and my app are after all free (and im sure any dev would give avast a copy of their app to avoid the damage a false positive can do)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:26:26 PM by David4 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast reports my app as a virus!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 06:02:43 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0