Author Topic: nvcpl.dll,nvstartup  (Read 5903 times)

worrieduser

nvcpl.dll,nvstartup
« on: March 19, 2006, 03:02:49 PM »
Hi,

have just been checking the startup tab in system config utility and found this file and searched for it on processlibrary.com and it says its registered as the W32.spybot.s worm. My computer has been randomly locking and switching my computer off so seems to make sense. However when i looked at another site it said it was just part of nvidia graphics controller. which is true?

i currently use avast home and ask why it hasn't been found after searching for it using avast, How can i get rid of it?

Thanks very much for any help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: nvcpl.dll,nvstartup
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 03:34:12 PM »
To know if a file is a false positive, please submit it to JOTTI and let us know the result. If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com

Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used.
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 03:38:03 PM »
Do you have an Nvidia Graphics card ?

I have three entries for Nvidia, two which I have disabled on start-up and the other, essential (I feel) that includes these two (nvcpl.dll and nvstartup, see image) and my system isn't infected.

Whilst Processlibrary.com might well say there have been instances where they have been used in relation to spybot.s, I doub't that it is saying 100% that these are infected.

Put your mind at rest, you could also check the offending/suspect files at: Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner

On-line Virus Scanners and other useful Links Security-Ops.eu.tt
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 03:41:03 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 03:39:55 PM »
Hi worrieduser,

These can be legitimate NVidia processes or malware masquerading as such.

See this regarding nvcpl.dll - http://www.hardavenue.com/a/NvCpl.dll.php

Before assuming avast! missed something do as Tech says or download and scan with Ewido (Windows XP/2000 only) for a second opinion.

worrieduser

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 09:35:41 PM »
Thanks for all the replies Have checked on Jotti and they couldn't find anything wrong with it so thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 11:32:15 PM »
Glad we could help, welcome to the forums.

Don't believe everything you read in the internet ;D check more than one source and do as you have done, check, before the nuclear option (delete), which can seriously ruin your day.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security