Author Topic: SpoolLib.dll Adware  (Read 4705 times)

demon0

SpoolLib.dll Adware
« on: April 25, 2006, 11:44:31 PM »
Every time I start Internet Explorer (6.0 for Windows XP SP2), I get an Adware Alert in the spoollib.dll file under Windows/System32 folder. The problem is that I don't care if there is adware in the file, and I want to stop the message from coming up. The two ways I thought of stopping my problem is either one of the following, both of which would solve my problem and make me content:

1) Access an exclusions setting for the resident scanner, in which I could put spoollib.dll

2) Disable Avast!'s scanning for adware

If anyone has any advice on how to reach either option, I would be very appreciative. Thanks infinitely in advance,

Demon0

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: SpoolLib.dll Adware
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:04:26 AM »
Are you sure you want to keep it see this page http://www.spywaredata.com/spyware/malware/spoollib.dll.php

demon0

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:23:40 AM »
I feel ignorant for not looking up the file. Sorry about that. However, I ran CWShredder and it found no CoolWebSearch on my system. (this is the latest updated version of CWShredder too). I also ran the latest updated version of AdAware on my system32 directory (to save time), and it found did not count spoollib as adware. (I know it actually did scan the file, because when I scanned the first time Avast popped up the similar on-access message about the Adware, but then I turned off the resident scanner and did the AdAware scan again.)

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 04:47:28 AM »
Hi demon0,

There's a difference between not caring if you have adware and being annoyed by a possible false positive.

If you upload the questionable file to avast! for review we can all benefit if it truly is a false positive that is removed.  If its not a false positive then you can either deal with it or add it to the exclusions as you see fit.  At least you will make an informed decision in this case.

If you're willing to help there are instructions for uploading a sample here

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=7779

M

demon0

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 10:34:56 PM »
I will upload it when I get a chance; I want to do everything I can to help the community.

Regardless, I still do not understand how to exclude things from the Resident Scanner. Like I stated in my first post, I added it to the Exclusions under Settings in the main Avast! scanner window, but it even states under the Exclusions setting that it does not apply to the Resident Scanner. Where is it that I can exclude things from the on-access scanner? Is it in an INI file, or hidden somewhere in the interface? I couldn't find it anywhere...

mauserme

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 11:06:16 PM »
It sounds like you've already excluded it in the on-demand scanner, so you will need to exclude in the on-access scanner too.

Right click the a-icon in your tray
Click On-Access Protection Control
Highlight Standard Shield
Click the Customize Button
Click the Advanced tab
Click the Add button and add you exclusion

M

demon0

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 04:14:19 AM »
Thanks a lot. I knew it was buried somewhere  :)

I'm submitting the file now.

demon0

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 04:24:11 AM »
OK; other scanners saw it as adware too. I'm not exactly sure why AdAware doesn't pick it up, but I'm deleting it now. Thanks again for the tip on excluding things with the on-demand scanner...

mauserme

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 04:04:49 PM »
I'm submitting the file now.

Thanks for your help, too.