Author Topic: False Alarm or Virus? What do I do?  (Read 9189 times)

MGB

False Alarm or Virus? What do I do?
« on: April 07, 2003, 12:32:34 AM »
Major problem here.  Upgraded to Version 4 yesterday.  Uninstalled Avast 32 and installed Version 4.  Ran Verson 4.  Found what it refers to as a virus, named Banger 1044.  This is in C:\WINDOWS\system.dat file.  

This is when my troubles began!  If I rename and move the file, V. 4 will identify it again and ask what to do with it.  If I place it in the chest, I end up with the same problem as when I delete the file, my system gets screwed up.  

What happens is that as soon as I shut down my system and then restart,  I get a message that a start up fill is missing, and I have to run scanreg.  Scanreg installs a back up version of my registry.  Due to this back up, I have to go in and manually remove all keys related to Avast32.  (I know what I'm doing with the registry, and I backup before starting)  Also the system.dat file is again on my system.  I also have reinstall Version 4 again.

Currently I haven't run version 4, as when I do, it will identify the file as a virus.

Is this a False Alarm? or is it a Virus?  I haven't been able to find anything on the Net about this Virus.   Closest I could find was Belker 1044, and that wasn't any help as no info was provided, only that it is detected in the latest updates.  Even did a scan with Symantec and McAfee, neither found this virus!  

I checked the file, and there is text in the file referring to Banger 1044, and well as other text with Banger and other numbers.

I can't delete the file as it screws up my system.  Yet I'm concerned if it is a virus.

WHAT do I do?  I need help!  

???

MGB

Re:False Alarm or Virus? What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 12:36:26 AM »
P.S.  Forgot to mention that I also requested Avast to repair/fix/clean the file, but got the message that it couldn't repair the file.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 06:02:01 AM »
Do not delete that system.dat file! It is a Part of the Windows Registry so it seems to be a false alarm. Try "scanreg /null /fix" under plain dos. Maybe than the false alarm is gone( it will fix and "compress" the registry)  
MfG Ralf

MGB

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 12:18:39 AM »
Txs Raman it worked!   ;D

I'm not getting the message anymore.  Unfortunately having another problem.  Trying to work on it now, so far no success.  If still can't fix will post it later in the forum.