Author Topic: The ideal antivirus (security discussion)  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The ideal antivirus (security discussion)
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:16:00 PM »
Scot's Ideal Antivirus:

Here's a quick list of some things I expect the best antivirus packages to provide:

1. Solid protection, including excellent detection of known malware and a demonstrated ability to detect new "in the wild" malware and polymorphic viruses, as judged by independent test labs.

2. Regular antivirus-signature updates, with advantage given to companies that can detect, create, and deliver AV signatures rapidly. All antivirus programs should be able to update themselves as well as their virus databases.

3. Full silent automatic, with quarantine and/or delete as available options for all detected threats in email, files, etc. False positives are just not a frequent issue with the better antivirus products. User intervention is not frequently needed.

4. A deep set of configuration options and a single, unified program interface that's easy to set up, configure, and use.

5. Universal email package support

6. Optional inbound and outbound mail scanning

7. Built-in scheduling of full-system scans

8. A fully-functional try-before-you-buy version. While many of you may disagree, I prefer to see a product that times out after 60 days than one that doesn't do everything forever. I think 30 days is too short a time to evaluate a product like this, but that does seem to be the most common time-out period.

9. Helpful tech support, online documentation, knowledgebase, FAQs, installation instructions, and so on.

avast is not among of them  :'(
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/81.htm
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: The ideal antivirus (security discussion)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 09:09:12 PM »
Scot had previously tested avast home and then pro and he did say it worked fine and protected his system, but he wasn't interested in the flexibility or configurable of avast all he want was a fire and forget AV that didn't ask him questions on what he wanted to do about a virus infection.

He wanted it to act autonomously, unfortunately he stated he didn't want to spend time configuring it to take those autonomous actions.

I like his newsletter, but in this case I have to disagree with his choices of the 4 AV he will do further testing with by excluding avast because he cant be bothered to configure it to best suit his requirement.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security