Author Topic: Free AV modifies browser, despite being told not to  (Read 837 times)

REDACTED

Free AV modifies browser, despite being told not to
« on: May 03, 2018, 11:25:10 PM »
After restarting Firefox today Avast popped up, telling me I had a "low reputation" search provider installed. I chose to keep the existing and clicked continue.

It then told me I had a low reputation browser add-on installed, namely "Download with DAP". I chose "Skip", rather than let it "fix" this "problem", as I want to use this.

In the next screen I was told that my insecure search engine would be replaced. (!)

Without asking for permission my browser was then restarted and the add-on removed. My search engine remained.

I find this behaviour unacceptable. When I chose not to have my add-on removed then I don't want it removed and I don't want to have my browser restarted without asking, either.

Thank you for your time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Free AV modifies browser, despite being told not to
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 11:36:19 PM »
I haven't had that problem, I don't have the browser cleanup component installed, do you have it installed ?

Are you saying that this happened on restarting firefox rather than after say the Smart Scan ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security