Author Topic: Avast keeps finding virusses in a FileZilla Server directory  (Read 2395 times)

REDACTED

Avast keeps finding virusses in a FileZilla Server directory
« on: October 28, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »
Hi everyone,

On my Windows10 machines, I've recently switched from Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro to Avast, as the first seemed to have conflicts with Windows Defender. After I made the switch, Avast now repeatedly finds virusses in the following directory: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\FileZilla Server
Avast quarantines the infected files and when I close my Firefox browser, I can even delete the entire Filezilla directory with everything in it but it keeps coming back and Avast keeps finding infected files, such as: default.ocx, f.bat and data.bin.
Today I've reinstalled Malware Bytes again and disabled Windows defender. Now both Malware Bytes and Avast are running. Malware bytes finds nothing and Avast keeps finding things. It says the files are infected with:
Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]
Other:Malware-gen
Win32:Malware-gen

I know FileZilla is an ftp program but I never installed anything of the likes, so I'm pretty sure one or other process keeps spawning stuff after every reboot and any virus scan I perform can't get a graps on it.
Does this sound familiar to anyone and if yes, does anyone know of a good plan of attack of finding out what I'm dealing with and how to put an end to it? I'd be grateful for any help offered.

Steps taken:

- Avast scan
- Windows defender scan
- Malwarebytes antimalware scan
- TDSSKiller scan
- HijackThis -- look for suspiscious signs
- ESET Online scan
- HouseCall scan
- msert scan

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot

REDACTED

Re: Avast keeps finding virusses in a FileZilla Server directory
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 08:28:44 PM »
Problems solved. I did not report false positives as the instructions to that almost made me have a seizure. :P
Someone at Bleepingcomputers.com helped me clean out the malware with a fixlist script for FRST.
No more troubles now. :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 08:54:59 PM »
I did not report false positives as the instructions to that almost made me have a seizure.
::)   you click the report FP link and submit the file(s), how difficult can that be?

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 09:04:29 PM »
Too much text, too many links. Sorry, just being honest. Bleepingcomputers.com was a bit more helpful.
(also going bonkers on the captcha's I need to decipher at every reply, lol!)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 09:09:18 PM »
(also going bonkers on the captcha's I need to decipher at every reply, lol!)
forum spam protection, first 3 posts so you are done

Too much text, too many links.
I guess you are looking at the topic from top to bottom?

The link i gave should go direct to my post where you find
Report a false positive (select file or website)
https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php

Bleepingcomputers.com was a bit more helpful.
If avast lab had said detection was correct we would have notified the malware expert ... he also use FRST

Anyway your case is solved, surfe safe   ;)

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 09:14:38 PM »
Ah, yes, I may indeed have started reading at the top, lol and yes the spam protection is gone. Glad I could at least enjoy that once, hehehe.
In any case, thanks for the help! :D