Author Topic: FF vs. IE  (Read 5418 times)

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
FF vs. IE
« on: July 13, 2006, 08:14:54 PM »
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=85

sorry if posted before..
MW

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: FF vs. IE
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 09:26:52 PM »
Hi minacross,

The new FF 2.0 beta has a lot of new features. What I like about FF, and my favorite browser of choice Flock beta is the add-ons.
Comparing FF or Flock without the add-ons, and specially the security add-ons, is not placing browsers on equal footing.

Not to say that IE with security measures taken cannot be a very secure browser. MacAfee SiteAdvisor, searching through www.scandoo.com, blocking scripts (spy-ads & other blocking lists, using normal user rights, script blocking etc., the DrWeb hyperlink pre-scanner, spoofstick, Netcraft toolbar, all these add-ons/plug-ins and the user's wit, can make your surfing and downloading a a secure and rewarding experience.

Does not matter what browser you use, the browser is as safe as the man behind it. I would like to add: period.

friend polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 10:59:03 PM »
Polonus, a little off-topic but, should I uninstall the previous version of Firefox before trying the beta or I can overinstall?
Should it better to keep both versions?
Is the beta 'stable' to browse with and don't have so much headaches?
The best things in life are free.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 11:29:19 PM »
Hi Tech,

I never had any problems, downloaded the install and ran it, and after I had run it deleted the installer.
The only time I have another routine is when installing the memstick Portable Firefox, while for the beta Flock I had no problems whatsoever, this browser now also adopts all FF add-ons on the fly.
Remember with the FF 2.0 beta or the bon-echo, as it is called with anti-phishing features, it is still a beta, but I think it is stable enough for you. However the Flock latest version is anti-spyware browser by design. At least they advertise it that way.

Enjoy,

polonus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 02:09:35 AM »
Although ff 2.0 beta 1 may be stable, one of the major points mentioned is the extension support is likely to be very limited, so if you have any must have extensions (DrWeb, NoScript, etc.) they might not work with ff 2.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 04:33:49 AM »
I would like to see a browser comparison of All the wodely used browers like

IE 6
Firefox
Flock
Opera
Safari
Maxthon
etc.

Any idea if a comparison like this has been done?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

drhayden1

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 07:23:37 AM »
hi Mac :D

also wish there was one floating around somewhere-would be nice to see ::)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 01:10:00 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 08:16:38 AM »
Hi drhayden,

Well browser comparison is difficult, because you cannot compare users, and what they do with a browser or what they don't. Then a browser that is used by the main stream cannot be fairly compared to a browser that has only a mere flock of adherents.

And there are more ways of consideration. For those on an OS that is no longer secured by M$ I would not like to use IE browser. For searchers I would like all the possibilities of Opera, that would be my browser of choice, about stability I would prefer Flock to FF, but again the last version of Flock is again compatible to 1.5.0.4.
For the fully patched service packed latest XP I would ahere the IE 7. No sweat.
But with no admin's rights under normal circumstances, good FW and additional security proggies.

And then browsers with in-browser security, and browsers without are also ill compared. Then additional anti-spyware protection, could make a broser safer, or specific blocklists or secure zone settings. There is so much user dependant things that make a browser safer than Uncle Arnold's old browser that was not updated or patched, where everyone clicks left or right on anything that pops up or need to be installed, and the irritation is "clicked away", such a browser never gets safe.

polonus

neal62

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 09:13:34 AM »
I agree Polonus, it is very hard to compare Browsers today. A person must know what each Browser has to offer or not and then make a choice as to which one they want to keep and why. Anyway, at least we have some choices we can make and that's good. Have a nice day.  :)

drhayden1

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 01:03:49 PM »
hi polonus and neal63 :D

the main browser is use at the moment is netscape 8.1

Netscape 8.1 Product Info
 http://browser.netscape.com/ns8/
Netscape began by trying to make an Internet that users found easy to use. Today we offer integrations of intuitive digital tools, innovative attractions and infinite media content. The revolutionary new Netscape Browser 8.1 provides more security options, streamlines more standard browsing tasks and arms internet users with more timesaving solutions to their browsing needs

Important Features

Security Center

Quickly view the status of security protection provided by the Netscape Browser. The browser will automatically let you know when there is a problem.

Spyware & Adware Protect

The Netscape Browser provides real time Spyware scanning when you download files from the web. You may also run memory and disk scans for Spyware protection and prevention.

Real-Time Feeds

The Netscape Browser takes the mystery out of Real Simple Syndication (RSS) and allows you to read and manage RSS feeds without the need of a separate news reader application.

Profiles

Create more than one profile to keep your bookmarks and passcards safe from other users. If you have a family, create a profile for your children and make use of the parental controls feature.

Tabbed Browsing

Tabbed browsing lets you have multiple web pages open in one window. This feature is great for organizing and freeing up desktop space because it files your web pages in a series of tabs.

Site Controls

The new Netscape Browser gives you more ways to make your browser secur

MultiBar

MultiBars let you customize up to ten different browser toolbars you can access with a single click.

Form Fill/Passcard

The Netscape Browser makes remembering your site passwords and filling out information forms on site simple.

----never had any trouble with it and have used netscape for YEARS----

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 01:10:45 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 10:29:52 PM »
I would like to see a browser comparison of All the wodely used browers like

IE 6
Firefox
Flock
Opera
Safari
Maxthon
etc.

Any idea if a comparison like this has been done?

We used have one posted by Mastertech however,
the thread turned into a bashing contest on both sides of the fan boys
and it was cloded.  :'( :'(
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 10:38:22 PM »
rats, oh well
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay