Author Topic: someone is trying to use my ip address to access a web forum  (Read 2057 times)

REDACTED

someone is trying to use my ip address to access a web forum
« on: October 26, 2018, 01:32:26 AM »
Recently I have gotten emails from the administrator of a web forum for motorcycle riders I have belonged to for many years...the emails are to alert me that "someone has tried to log into your account with an incorrect password at least five times.  The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address:  (MY IP address!)

How can this happen? 

Is it possible there is some malware on my computer that can permit a hacker to do this?

Is there any software protection I can buy from Avast to eliminate this threat?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: someone is trying to use my ip address to access a web forum
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 06:42:57 AM »
"How can this happen?"
  • Same IP address.
  • Same computer system.
Another user with access to your system when you are not around?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »
Most people don't have a dedicated/unique IP address, but one assigned by their Internet Service Provider which can change.  Whilst it is possible to get a dedicated fixed IP address, most ISPs would charge for that.

So there is also the possibility this IP could be used/assigned to other users of this ISP.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I know for sure there is no other user on my system who is trying to use my computer to access this forum website. 

As to the question of static or dynamic IP address, I have to conclude I have a static IP address, one that does not change. 

Some time back, a hacker tried to extort money from me, threatening to reveal my online browsing habits to all of my contacts.  The hacker stated he had installed a key logger on my system...which I have a vague idea of what that is. 

I need to a) make sure I identify and remove any such malicious software from my computer, and b) ensure I am protected against similar threats in the future.

I have Avast firewall software installed...do I need more protection?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 04:49:53 PM »
Some time back, a hacker tried to extort money from me, threatening to reveal my online browsing habits to all of my contacts.  The hacker stated he had installed a key logger on my system...which I have a vague idea of what that is. 
That scam is well known all over the web, emails pawned from other websites are used to try and scam you into thinking they have information on you which is obviously not true.

Also checking your current IP it's Dynamic which means it's used by others via your provider Comcast.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:53:43 PM by CraigB »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
That scam is well known all over the web, emails pawned from other websites are used to try and scam you into thinking they have information on you which is obviously not true.

Sextortion Scam Uses Recipient’s Hacked Passwords
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/07/sextortion-scam-uses-recipients-hacked-passwords/comment-page-3/

Factory reset your router and set it up with new SSID and password

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 05:51:16 PM by Pondus »