Author Topic: aVast Scan other PC without uninstalling Norton Antivirus (System Works 2005) ?  (Read 5398 times)

directjj

I have two PC's.

I replaced / got rid of everything Norton on my notebook and am using aVast.

Still runing Norton System Works 2005 on my desktop and that includes more than just Norton AntiVirus, although I have registry mechanic now too.

I'd like to scan my desktop with aVast just to see if it can find anything, without uninstalling Norton.

Is that possible?

Is it OK to install aVast on the same system as Norton as long as you don't run both at the same time or does the mere presence of Norton intefere with aVasts ability to function.

Can having both installed (running only one at a time) cause system problems?

Too courage to replace Norton with aVast on my notebook.

Have a lot of people abandoned Norton altogether and never looked back?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
In short No, NAV is a real pig when it comes to living with another AV. So much so that if you install avast on the same system as NAV avast will often disable elements to avoid a conflict and possible system lock-up.

Even the remnants of an uninstalled NAV, registry keys, drivers, etc. could be see by avast and avast may still disable elements. So even with NAV disabled but not uninstalled could cause conflict as you can't disable the legacy keys and drivers, etc.

There are many happy avast users on these forums who are ex NAV users.

You could use one of the many on-line scanners if you pause NAV. On-line Virus Scanners and other useful Links Security-Ops.eu.tt

You could also use an on-line scanner to confirm, established connection to the on-line scanner of your choice and just before you do the scan, pause your AV, enable after completion.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

directjj

In short No,

Sounds like if I want to use ANY of the other Norton Systems Works modules and use aVast on my other PC, I should:

1) Uninstall Norton Systems Works from Control Panel
2) Run the Symantec CleanUp tools
3) Install aVast!
4) Reinstall only those Norton Modules I want to keep EXCLUDING Norton AntiVirus
    or just use Registry Mechanic and forget all the other Norton Stuff.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If you do a custom install of Norton System Works, you should be able to exclude the AV side of it. Obviously if there are other tools in the system works that you want/need the don't install it option won't sit well with you. But if registry mechanic does most of what you need/want perhaps you could find alternative tools for the missing ones on system works.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

directjj

I had another thought.

Since I have 2 PC's networked through a router with aVast! installed on one and Norton System Works on the other, would it be possible for me to use aVast! to scan the C drive of the other PC across the network to see if it finds anything (maybe disable Norton on that PC while that is going on) and vice versa, use Norton to Scan the other PC across the network with aVast disabled.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I'm not sure how avast works across a network (to a shared drive/folder) as it is primarily a desktop solution and I don't operate a network so couldn't test it.. However the Web Shield has an Ignore Local communication so it must be able to recognise local communications.

If it were possible the only issue would be if the other AV was running and a virus was detected and both AVs fought for control (locking the file) whilst they tried to deal with it, that could potentially lock both systems. So You could certainly try it with alternative AV disabled for the scans.

AVE160

When you have a local network and setup the disk from the other pc as shared, Avast scan this disk as any other. I occasionally do this at home.

It will off course only be a file scan, nothing more (no registry, etc).
I am not sure what happens with system files, you could get access errors there.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I'd like to scan my desktop with aVast just to see if it can find anything, without uninstalling Norton. Is that possible?
On-demmand scanning of shared folder is possible.

Is it OK to install aVast on the same system as Norton as long as you don't run both at the same time or does the mere presence of Norton intefere with aVasts ability to function. Can having both installed (running only one at a time) cause system problems?
No. Shortly you can't. Drivers and legacy registry keys will mess (even avoiding boot) your system.

Too courage to replace Norton with aVast on my notebook.
Why?

Have a lot of people abandoned Norton altogether and never looked back?
Be sure of that... I'm one of them  :)
The best things in life are free.