Author Topic: Delayed Write Failed error message  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Delayed Write Failed error message
« on: July 21, 2006, 03:30:03 AM »
The error described here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174/en-us starts to appear  ::)
Strange? What did I change in my computer?

The solutions there did not solve the problem...
Only avast file is having this problem...
There is 20,4 Gb free on that partition...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 03:31:41 AM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Delayed Write Failed error message
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:41:40 AM »
Strange... I have really no idea what might cause this, but I don't think it's in the powers of avast! (i.e. the trouble must be somewhere in the OS).
How often does it appear? If you are running a scan, for example, does it occur once or multiple times?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 10:19:39 AM »
Well if you can backup data now, do it. Coz you might not be able to do this tommorow...

Then check your HDD health with program called HDDLife (freeware).

This error accours when HDD fails to write data to disk after being cached to its internal HDD cache. This is a quiet common symptom of dying HDD.
It can also be a problem with IDE drivers but if it was working ok till now and you haven't been messing with IDE drivers, then HDD will most probably die soon. Mine ended like this too. First it started showing me this error, few days later it started scratching badly from time to time, few days later it started failing when i tried to format it and in the end PC stopped booting and showed error that no boot device is present.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 01:54:29 PM »
Strange... I have really no idea what might cause this, but I don't think it's in the powers of avast! (i.e. the trouble must be somewhere in the OS).
Yeah... I feel the same.

How often does it appear? If you are running a scan, for example, does it occur once or multiple times?
No... It's not frequent and since booting it disappered.
I wasn't running a scan at that time.

Well if you can backup data now, do it. Coz you might not be able to do this tommorow...
Regular backups done.

Then check your HDD health with program called HDDLife (freeware).
My HDD is ok. Its SMART status is ok.

This error accours when HDD fails to write data to disk after being cached to its internal HDD cache. This is a quiet common symptom of dying HDD.
Yeah... but this time seems some 'low level' driver or whatever... not a hardware trouble.

It can also be a problem with IDE drivers but if it was working ok till now and you haven't been messing with IDE drivers, then HDD will most probably die soon. Mine ended like this too. First it started showing me this error, few days later it started scratching badly from time to time, few days later it started failing when i tried to format it and in the end PC stopped booting and showed error that no boot device is present.
I'll pray for this does not happen with me  :'( :-\
The best things in life are free.