Author Topic: Notification of Virus in Email Program  (Read 2592 times)

ethan

Notification of Virus in Email Program
« on: July 20, 2006, 10:02:08 PM »
I use Eudora Pro to get email from our server. Whenever I get a virus, avast stops the program and downloads and asks what I want done with the virus.

What I want is that all viruses be deleted permanently, I want to continue downloading email, and I want avast to work in the background. There must be a way to do that.

I get 5-10 viruses a day, and if I'm not here, the email program just sits and cannot perform the other functions.

Where are the settings (if Norton had them - and as bad a program as it was, it did have that setting) so that all viruses are automatically deleted without stopping to ask?

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Notification of Virus in Email Program
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 03:00:27 AM »
Whenever I get a virus, avast stops the program and downloads and asks what I want done with the virus.
What I want is that all viruses be deleted permanently, I want to continue downloading email, and I want avast to work in the background. There must be a way to do that.

No, there isn't a easy way in Home version, only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).

Or you can use Silent Mode:

Left click the 'a' blue icon.
It will start On-access protection

Click on Internet Mail and then on Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.

Do the same for the and Outlook/Exchange plugin.
The answer Yes in Silent Mode keeps the virus in the file or into the message (attach) and continue the scanning. You can't configure 'delete the infected file' in the Home version.

You can do the same for Standard Shield provider, but it won't be a good idea...

Silent mode in the case of the WebShield provider simply means that avast will keep pressing the "Abort connection" button for hte user automatically.

I get 5-10 viruses a day, and if I'm not here, the email program just sits and cannot perform the other functions.
Well... I'll take an extra care about deleting spam and changing your email address...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 01:34:07 PM »
I would suggest that you look at an anti-spam tool which can delete emails from the email server and not after they have arrived or are being delivered to your system. I know they are viruses, but most anti-spam programs allow you to filter/mark for deletion suspect files.

I use MailWasher Pro (there is a free version which only monitors one email account), one of the best paid for programs on my system, there are others but ensure they can delete from the email server. Mailwasher views the first xx lines (where xx is the number of lines you decide) of the email in text mode, no attachments, it does its thing flagging spam, etc. and you can tick those you don't want. When you click process those email flagged for deletion are deleted from the email server, it then calls your email program so you can download the remainder, which should effectively be clean.

Do you really want to download email whilst you aren't there, I know that this requires you to be there to run Mailwasher, but over all this has saved me a lot of time, especially as I don't have to download the spam or suspect files over my dial-up connection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ethan

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 09:55:54 PM »
Thank you. I found two of the three suggestions and, since I have the Pro edition on both laptop and PC, I was able to set to Silent mode. I set the answer to "Yes,"
 however since I want the virus trashed and I don't mind the bar notice that a virus was found (at least not yet).

I should probably start a new thread, but one more brief question. On the laptop (which has the updated, but older version) of 4.7 Professional, the circle "a" periodically notifies me (with voice) that "Your virus database has been updated." What is the setting to have it do this on the newer PC program which I bought two days ago?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 10:40:20 PM »
Since I have the Pro edition on both laptop and PC, I was able to set to Silent mode. I set the answer to "Yes," however since I want the virus trashed and I don't mind the bar notice that a virus was found (at least not yet).
You should follow the Enhanced Interface settings if you have the Professional version.
Check the 'Virus' page for each provider (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285)

To configure the messages at the bottom of the screen: ShowVirusTag=0
See: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10268#msg10268

I should probably start a new thread, but one more brief question. On the laptop (which has the updated, but older version) of 4.7 Professional, the circle "a" periodically notifies me (with voice) that "Your virus database has been updated." What is the setting to have it do this on the newer PC program which I bought two days ago?
I've answered this elsewhere... No double posting, please  ;)
The best things in life are free.