Author Topic: Does android Firewall still need root?  (Read 8426 times)

Offline David_27

Does android Firewall still need root?
« on: January 05, 2019, 01:45:27 AM »
I saw a recent review of Avast mobile security, it mentioned the Firewall as a pro but didin't say anything about the root being necessary, is it still the case?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Does android Firewall still need root?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 09:27:52 AM »
Yes.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline David_27

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 04:47:37 PM »
That is sad... Ok, thanks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 05:29:17 AM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »
Unfortunately the Firewall included in our app is possible to use only on rooted phones, as its functionality depends on access to several system features which require root privileges. Limitations of the Android platform do not allow us to implement the feature on non-rooted phones (even though we’d love to). Thanks for understanding.

Offline David_27

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 03:06:49 PM »
Are there any advantages of Avast Firewall over NoRoot Firewall?

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »
It depends. Both the solutions use different technology. NoRoot Firewall uses a VPN technology to limit/filter the communication using VPN. The disadvantage of such solution (from the security point of view) is that the one who controls the VPN server can potentially check/analyze your Internet traffic (we are not saying that NoRoot Firewall does this, only that it is possible).

On the other hand Avast Firewall limits the Internet connection directly on the system level (that is why it needs the root).

Offline David_27

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 04:45:43 AM »
Thanks for the info. My phone is now rooted and with Avast firewall running ;D It gave me a lot of hassle this weekend but it's done.
I notice that Avast doesn't have protection against uninstallation... I think it uesd to have in the past? Or maybe I'm confusing with Kaspersky. It should ask for a PIN or something to enable the uninstallation button both in settings and play store. Would be a nice feature to add.

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 10:52:23 AM »
Hi, thanks for your suggestion, has been forwarded to the devs.

Offline David_27

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 01:18:33 AM »
Does the firewall automatically block suspicious apps and malware, outside attacks or is it just a simple tool for us to choose which apps can connect to the internet?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 02:37:26 AM by David_27 »

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 04:44:40 PM »
The latter one - it is a tool to choose which apps can connect to the Internet. There is no automization for blocking.

Offline David_27

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 10:22:32 PM »
Then it's not a firewall. It's just an app to block internet access to other apps. Misleading naming...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:27:32 PM by David_27 »

Offline Tereza V.

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 09:48:21 PM »
In computing, a firewall is a network security system that monitors and controls incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined security rules. A firewall typically establishes a barrier between a trusted internal network and untrusted external network, such as the Internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(computing)

Offline David_27

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 01:13:38 AM »
In computing, a firewall is a network security system that monitors and controls incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined security rules. A firewall typically establishes a barrier between a trusted internal network and untrusted external network, such as the Internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(computing)

Exactly, not what the Avast thing does on android. How is it a secruty system if it doesn't autoblock anything? It just allows everything unless you go there later and set it to block certain apps. It's nothing more than a personal net blocker for apps. It odesn't serve as any kind of barrier.

Offline BWhit

• Avast team
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 12:23:10 PM »
Hi David_27,

Thank you for providing your feedback on the Firewall feature.

I understand the points you are making, and I apologize that the firewall doesn't provide the granular level of network control that you expected, and that you have to specify which apps that you would like to block rather than choosing which connections to allow.

We are always looking for ways to improve our products, and to provide greater value for our customers, so we do appreciate that you have taken the time to point out how we have failed to meet your requirements. I can assure you that your comments have been passed to the development team to see if there are any changes/improvements that we can make to address the issues that you have raised.