Author Topic: Avast firewall rules wiped after power outage  (Read 948 times)

Offline MoltresRider

Avast firewall rules wiped after power outage
« on: May 14, 2020, 09:27:50 PM »
We had a power surge followed by a power outage that lasted about an hour and after the power came back on and I started up my PC, I noticed that Avast Firewall is asking if I want to allow pretty much every single program to connect to the internet despite the fact that I have had rules for said programs for ages.

When I open Avast settings, I found that the "application rules" were completely blank except for the stuff that started up with my PC.

I first noticed that rules were gone when Avast asked if Firefox wanted to connect to the internet and Firefox was one of the first programs that I allowed to connect to the internet.

I Googled 'Avast firewall rules wiped after power outage' but NOTHING came up, no similar issues or anything—in fact, Google excluded about half the words in my search and told me that they were "missing" from the results.

It seems that I am the first person who this has happened to.

Why is Avast Firewall clearing the application rules upon power failure? It SHOULD NOT do that! Since this is the first time anybody has posted this, it is OBVIOUSLY some annoying "feature" added in with the latest version of Avast that was updated two days ago! Get rid of that! I DO NOT NEED my application rules cleared if my computer suddenly loses power.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast firewall rules wiped after power outage
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 11:03:00 AM »
Hi,

I very much doubt that would be a "feature".
Could you provide us with a support package so that we can look into this issue, please?

Please follow these steps:
1. To generate the support file, please see this link.
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Submit-support-file
2. Once you have the zipped file (which was generated via the support tool), please upload it to a file hosting service of your choice.

3. Please provide us with the link to the folder.

Important: Please disable the automatic sending of the package to our server.

To disable automatic sending, please open the "Avast Support Tool" > then click on "START" > "Next" >
"Options" > and deselect "Automatically send to Avast"