Author Topic: Major problem when stopping On-Access protection  (Read 3119 times)

DaNavMan

Major problem when stopping On-Access protection
« on: September 11, 2006, 02:09:55 PM »
Hello,

I have Avast 4.7 build 4.7.871. It conflicts with Ad-aware. The problem is, when I start scanning with ad-aware and a bug is detected, avast pops up with its siren saying a "virus has been detected". So I thought maybe this would stop if I simply stop On-Access protection whilst scanning.

So I do that. I scan with ad aware and then turn on On-Access protection again. This is where the problem starts. Suddenly I am disconnected from the internet, even though the connection icon is still in the system tray. So I think that maybe a system restart would fix it. But no, after I pass the welcome screen my comp just freezes with my wallpaper background and no icons or start menu. Then, after a long time, I can get the task manager up and start up windows via New task>explorer. And even after that most of my services (internet connection, some programs etc) wont start after about 5 minutes. I managed to return to the way it was before stopping On-Access protection through system restore.

So...is there a fix for this? Sorry if it has already been mentioned, I'm a newcomer  :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Major problem when stopping On-Access protection
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 02:19:10 PM »
There is no conflict wit adaware as far as I'm aware I have been using them for over two years together.

What you need to do is to pause standard shield when running a scan with any other security based program including adaware. Otherwise you could have a clash between programs if they can both detect the malware and fight for control of the action to deal with it. By pausing the standard shield you not only avoid this possible clash you should speed up the scan duration as avast isn't double checking the files that adaware opens to check them.

You should only need to pause the avast! standard shield (on-access scanner) and not Stop ALL On-Access Protection. This works fine for me with no issue that you mention.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DaNavMan

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 11:58:05 PM »
OK your soution seemed to have fixed the clash with Ad-aware, but when i went to resume the standard shield, my comp froze again and I had to restart via the restart button. Yes I paused, I didn't stop it completely.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 12:23:35 AM »
What is your OS ?
What is your CPU and RAM on your system ?

I can't see why this should happen and I haven't seen it in the forums in over two years. All I can suggest to try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

You could uninstall adaware, reboot and reinstall it first before the avast reinstall option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DaNavMan

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:42:07 AM »
Opersating system is WinXP pro. CPU is Pentium4 2.66 GHz with 768 MB of RAM.

About reinstalling, I followed the instructions on this page, but the problem still persisted. I'll try repairing like you suggested. Be back with an update soon. Oh yeah, thanks for trying to help, I really appreciate it.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 06:53:19 AM »
I do not wish to deny that a you have a real problem, but just to confirm the comments from DavidR ...

I am a long term user of avast and Ad-aware.  The folks I support are similarly long term users of both products and I have received no concerns from them.  Personally, I get a warning every week from Ad-aware that I choose to ignore - it is never accompanied by any alert from avast.

I am an XP Pro user and all of my folks are XP Home users and all of them have machines with lesser specs than yours.  I have to think that some other factor is causing the freeze condition  you are experiencing. 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 02:27:32 PM »
If you did a re-install  uninstall using the utility and that didn't have any effect I doubt the repair will have any effect as that is considered the softer option than re-install and can resolve minor 'avast!' related issues.

Are you using the paid for version of AdAware with AdWatch, the resident element of adaware ?

There would definitely seem to be something else in the mix as your system isn't under resourced to possibly cause a freeze. What other security based software do you have that might be monitoring system changes, etc. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), SpySweeper, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

DaNavMan

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 01:25:02 PM »
The only security systems on my computer are Avast, ad-aware and my modem's built-in firewall. I'm also using the free version of Ad-aware. I'd also like to add that I used to be able to stop on-access protection and turn it on again, earlier this year, I can't remember the exact date when the problem started occuring.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 03:05:30 PM »
I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to suggest next, this is very strange. I think we need so help from one of the Alwil team to see what they might suggest about the freeze when restarting avast.

If you uninstall adaware completely and reboot can you pause or Stop On-Access protection and then resume or Start On-Access Protection, do you get the same freeze ?