Author Topic: restoring "repaired" files  (Read 4959 times)

Lorne

restoring "repaired" files
« on: October 11, 2006, 07:38:11 PM »
I am a new user of of Avast and I recently scanned my computer (ME operating system) with Avast 4 Home and it returned a list of files that it could not scan (10+).  I unknowingly and apparently inappropriately chose the "repair" option and as a result, portions of my Outlook 2000 no longer function.  Outlook now loads very slowly, it does not receive mail because it times out (and likely does not send mail), and cannot manage reminders.  When closing out a pop up reminder, I receive the following message:  "Cannot turn off the reminder.  The file c:\windows\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst could not be accessed."  It appears as though the VRDB portion of Avast should have been generating recovery files but I have not been able to find any such back-up or any way to launch any sort of restore feature in Avast.  Is anyone able to help me to bring my Outlook back to a functional state?  I have not yet noticed any other programs being impaired because of my mistake.  Thank you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: restoring "repaired" files
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 04:48:44 AM »
Lorne, welcome!
I doubt that the repair function could have messed your Outlook installation. But, as you're saying...
VRDB is used to repair files but I'm quite sure that if you're a new user of avast the VRDB haven't finished yet. It's just a feature, not a full backup of files to further restore.

Let's focus on your trouble.
Can you check if the avast plugin is not disabled into MS Outlook?
Outlook 2000 > Tools menu > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-In Manager.

Do you use a firewall? Which one?

If you disable the Internet Mail provider, will your Outlook work?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 10:13:01 AM »
I also doubt it is actually connected to avast!.
If avast! reported that it couldn't scan the files, it means they are probably password-protected archives, or locked. If avast! couldn't scan them, it's rather unlikely that it would be able to put the corresponding information into VRDB either.
So, I'm quite sure the "Repair" option didn't do anything at all.

Lorne

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 04:23:45 PM »
Thank you both Tech and Igor for replying to my posting.

When I say "new" user of Avast, I mean for about the last 5-6 weeks now.  In the past I ignored the list of files that were not able to be scanned but his time I foolishly decided to try to do something about them without taking the time to see if what I was going to do was appropriate.  It's puzzling to me that you both agree that it was not likely my "repair" actions in Avast that caused my Outlook problem.  I do not pretend to be well versed in computer functions but I am quite confident that Outlook worked prior to my "repair" actions and did not work after.  I find it highly coincidental that something other could have happend simultaneously.  And then there is the notice that tells me that a specific file could not be accessed when I attempt to close out a pop up reminder in Outlook.  What else could have caused this specific file to no longer be accessed if not the "repair"?  But at the same time it also makes perfect sense that if Avast could not scan the files that those files were protected in some fashion and if so..... Avast could not likely access them to repair them either.  However, could Avast's repair function have renamed these files or moved them causing Outlook to not recognize them or find them?

I am not able to check whether or not  the Avast plug-in is disabled as Outlook is no longer opening and simply freezes and at times locks up the whole computer,  I do however see the Avast badge appear attached to the Outlook badge when I do try to launch Outlook, indicating to me that Avast is being launched in conjunction with Outlook.  I also tried to disable Avast and then launch Outlook but that did not help.  I also tried physically disconnecting my internet connection but that too did nothing.  I use Zone Alarm for my firewall and it seems to be more compatable with Avast then it was with Norton. 

I will now try to run Avast again to see if there are any gremlins causing this and will also run Adaware SE.  One other thing I will try is to see if Outlook will run in safe mode.

Any further thoughts?

Gratefully
Lorne

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 05:39:07 PM »
It's puzzling to me that you both agree that it was not likely my "repair" actions in Avast that caused my Outlook problem.
Well... we're trying to think a solution for your trouble and really, avast repair doesn't seem to be the guilty here.
Are you sure that you didn't send the files to Chest? Or delete them instead of repairing?

I find it highly coincidental that something other could have happend simultaneously.
I can't say that it's a coincidence... could be another action that you've taken but you're not remembering or you did not pay that attention to it... could be an Outlook trouble...
Well, we're trying to help you to solve the problem and not to find the guilty party, but, if we can discover who is guilty here, maybe it's easier to help...

What else could have caused this specific file to no longer be accessed if not the "repair"?
That is what we're trying to discover...

However, could Avast's repair function have renamed these files or moved them causing Outlook to not recognize them or find them?
No. Repair is repair, not rename or move.

I am not able to check whether or not  the Avast plug-in is disabled as Outlook is no longer opening and simply freezes and at times locks up the whole computer,  I do however see the Avast badge appear attached to the Outlook badge when I do try to launch Outlook, indicating to me that Avast is being launched in conjunction with Outlook.  I also tried to disable Avast and then launch Outlook but that did not help.
Please, go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose 'Change' function in the popup window and uncheck the Outlook/Exchange plugin.
Boot. Try to open Outlook again.

Lorne

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 09:00:13 PM »
Thank you Tech.  I tried unchecking the Outlook / Exchange plug-in as per your instructions and it does not appear to have made any difference.  Outlook eventually did open but all of the same problems still exist. 

Another virus scan with Avast found nothing.  The file I quote to you previously and which was quote in the pop up on the screen telling me that it could not be accessed....... is still showing as one of the files that could not be scanned this time around too. 

I did find the following errors listed in the Avast Log Viewer from the date this trouble started. they say:
"4294799877    Error in aswChestC: chestAddFile 1722"
The second entry is the same but 29 seconds later.  It means nothing to me.... does it mean anything to you?

You asked if I perhaps chose "chest" rather than "repair".  I do not think so.  I meant to choose repair but I suppose it is possible that I clicked on chest instead.  I did open the chest and there is only one file in there from a time previous to this problem.  I am quite sure that I did not delete them as that is not something that I would have set out to do and furthermore, the file that was referenced as not being able to access is still showing as not being able to be scanned with a subsequent scan.

If I am the guilty party then I would certainly admit that I was so as to fix it but I really do not remember performing anything else on my computer at the time.  I will continue to dwell on it to see if I can remember anything else.  Do you have any other ideas?

Gratefully
Lorne

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 09:19:34 PM »
I did find the following errors listed in the Avast Log Viewer from the date this trouble started. they say:
"4294799877    Error in aswChestC: chestAddFile 1722"
The second entry is the same but 29 seconds later.  It means nothing to me.... does it mean anything to you?
Just a file that could not be added to Chest as far I can understand...

the file that was referenced as not being able to access is still showing as not being able to be scanned with a subsequent scan.
Can you post the full name and path of this file?

If I am the guilty party
You're not  ;)

Do you have any other ideas?
What about opening Outlook in safe mode as you've written before?

Lorne

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 10:02:58 PM »
The file is:  c:\windows\applicationdata\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst

And no it did not run in safe mode either.  Also tried uninstalling Avast but that did nothing as well.  Could Avast be missing identifying a virus?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 11:39:02 PM »
The file is:  c:\windows\applicationdata\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst
Could Avast be missing identifying a virus?
It's possible but I think something corrupted the Outlook file.
Outlook won't open without it.
Maybe you can backup it to another place (or two for security) and try to delete it.
Start Outlook again. You'll see you'll lost the email accounts, the calendar info, etc. but, at least, you'll have your Oulook working again.
Maybe the import feature of Outlook can 'load' the 'old/corrupted' file and you can merge the info without losing everything...  ::)

Hope this helps...

Lorne

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 03:44:19 AM »
Your help is greatly appreciated.  I may try your suggesion but alternately I may just take this to be the perfect opportunity to do the upgrades that I wanted to to do (XP and Office 2003).  Installing a fresh Outlook upgrade will hopefully rectify the problem.  I tried re-installing the recently expired 2005 Norton to see if it catches anything but for some reason it would not install.  I get a pop up when rebooting the computer telling me that Norton cannot run because files are missing.  But I un-installed it .... or at least thought that I did.

Will check back in case you have had a eureka moment with an additional suggestion.

Thanks Tech

Lorne

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 10:29:54 PM »
I may just take this to be the perfect opportunity to do the upgrades that I wanted to to do (XP and Office 2003).
I suggest a clean install (from scratch) and after that install avast.
If you want to 'update' your installation, please, uninstall avast, upgrade to XP and only after that install avast.

I tried re-installing the recently expired 2005 Norton to see if it catches anything but for some reason it would not install.
Hmmm... Did you try to install NAV having avast installed before? Or, on contrary, install avast with NAV already installed?
NAV is notorious on conflict problems...

or at least thought that I did.
Will check back in case you have had a eureka moment with an additional suggestion.
1) Remove NAV through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Symantec removal tool following the three steps defined in the SymNRT tool info or here.
3) Boot.
4) Install avast! and boot.
5) See what you get.

Lorne

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 04:50:39 AM »
Thanks again for all your help Tech.  I was not responding earlier as I was upgrading to XP and Office 2003 (plus another 256 of RAM).  I had some glitches and had to deal with them when time permitted me to be on the computer.  I am (hopefully) off and running again.  You have been most helpful.  I appreciate your time and efforts.

Lorne
the Cynical Optimist
(optimistic enough to hope for the best, but realistic enough not to expect it)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 08:09:16 PM »
Thanks again for all your help Tech.
Well, we'll be waiting for help you whenever you need or want  8)
Oh, and my health allows it  ;D