Author Topic: AVAST AUTO UPDATES  (Read 1920 times)

LAB

AVAST AUTO UPDATES
« on: October 19, 2006, 03:31:13 PM »
Has something been changed in the last two to three Avast Program releases. Normally the Avast Update Icon would come up after about 15 seconds after my dial up connection was made and the time for it to complete an update on average was about 45 seconds to a minute or less which I think is fast for being on dial up.

Lately it seems like the update Icon does not display until 4 or so minutes after connecting and the updates seem to last for about 10 minutes. Whats odd is that when the Avast Update Window opens and you click on it to see the update results, it will always tell you that the update only took anywhere from 20 seconds to 35 seconds? Web browsing seems slower during the update process also. I tried a clean install of Avast yesterday and still exibit the same behavior. My connection speed is the same as it always was and the only new software I have installed is Comodo Firewall. Could the firewall be causing the slow down?

My avast settings are all set to default and were never changed from the last clean install. I do not see this as a big problem but that was the one thing I liked about Avast compared to other paid AV software which took even longer to auto update.

I am running it under WinXP pro with Comodo Firewall, 384Mb Ram.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AVAST AUTO UPDATES
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 04:05:50 PM »
No change, I'm on dial-up and I have seen no difference.

Previous changes some time ago, don't display the update icon or notification pop-up don't display unless an update is available.

You can change it back in the Program Settings, Update (Basic), see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AVAST AUTO UPDATES
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 09:12:58 PM »
Cochise, just for a test, try to download servers.def from here: http://download1.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def
Save it to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\setup folder (overwritting the older one).
Start the update again. Is it on the normal speed now?
The best things in life are free.