Author Topic: problem with receiving e-mail  (Read 5263 times)

elkteeth

problem with receiving e-mail
« on: November 20, 2006, 11:38:38 AM »
all of a sudden avast will not let me receive e-mails it shows this error

The server responded with an error. Account: 'mail.peoplepc.com', Server: 'mail.peoplepc.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR concurrent connections limit in avast exceeded', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

how do I fix it.

Thanks for any help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: problem with receiving e-mail
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:35:43 PM »
Which is the process that is using the avast mail scanner?
I mean, your news reader or email client?
Which is your operational system?
The best things in life are free.

elkteeth

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 12:52:15 PM »
I have xp and outlook express

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 02:13:01 PM »
Which is the process that is using the avast mail scanner?
Can you use TCPView from www.sysinternals.com to see which process is starting the connections?
Are you donwloading or sending mail when that problem occur? Is OE running in background?
Generally, this behavior (concurrent connections) could be done to another program trying to send emails (a trojan or another news program)...
Did you run a full avast scanning?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 02:35:23 PM »
This is a strange error to get if you are just downloading email 'ERR concurrent connections limit in avast exceeded' and is one more associated to NNTP news leachers, etc. using a different port to download NNTP news.

Do you use something like NewsLeacher, Supersearch ?
What exactly were you doing when the error pops-up e.g. downloading email or news, what ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

elkteeth

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 07:07:29 PM »
How I have always done it is click on outlook express, it then downloads my mail. Now anytime I click on outlook I get that message for both acounts. The other account shows the same thing

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 08:17:28 PM »
Well outlook express normally downloads emails one account at a time (a single connection) and not concurrently, so it shouldn't hit any concurrent connections error. Sorry I'm at a loss as to why this exceeding concurrent connection error would occur in this instance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

elkteeth

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 08:22:09 PM »
How do I get avast off my computer?  I have gone to add remove programs and it sill not let me remove the program. i am getting fed up with this program. It has been a good program and I have recomended it to several people, but I do not know if I will recomend it again.

Stan kaczmar

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 08:38:34 PM »
I have gone to add remove programs and it sill not let me remove the program.

What is stopping it, are you getting any errors ?
They could be an indication that your installation is corrupt or damaged and possibly related to the problem you are experiencing..

It has been a good program and I have recomended it to several people, but I do not know if I will recomend it again.
Well that hasn't suddenly changed it is still a good program and not something to be given up lightly, we are happy to try and help you sort any problem but you have to want help.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.

If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, run the uninstall utility (see below), reboot, install latest version, reboot.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.

It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 02:59:03 AM »
-ERR concurrent connections limit in avast exceeded
Do you have any other antivirus in this computer? http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=15722.msg133309#msg133309
Did you install, even in the past, AVG or ClamWin?

Maybe you can locate the avast4.ini file and open in Notepad. Increase the MaxConnections setting to 50 (the default is 20). Save and close Notepad and turn on the Avast email scanner then try your email again. (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10267#msg10267)

Will this help? http://www.tiscali.co.uk/help/email/oe_errors_0x800ccc90.html

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 05:55:35 AM »
If all of a sudden a problem occurs in a working service you need to ask ...

What did I do to change it?

Did I update the software that is failing?

If the answer is no then the next question is ....

Did I make a change to my system that may have made the software fail?

The problem this user is seeing typically involves another piece of software getting in the way of the email intercept of avast ... and managing to create some sort of looping condition between the two that exceeds connection limits. 

This is most often another antivirus product - seems unlikely here, but could include anti-spam filters and connection "speed-up" software.

Only the user can tell us what other changes have been made to the system - and "I did nothing" is not a credible answer.