Author Topic: Installation and updates of ADNM & AMS with no internet  (Read 5488 times)

peeaa

Installation and updates of ADNM & AMS with no internet
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:58:49 PM »
Hello!

We have a Windows AD network with 4 Win2003 Servers and about 25 WinXP workstations. For security reasons the network is not (and will not be) connected to the internet.

In addition we have one Win2003 server which is continuously connected to the internet but not to the other network.

One of the servers in the secure network will be used – among some other not too heavy tasks – for ADNM and AMS.

I have read the ADNM manual and everything relevant I managed to find from this forum, but I still have a few questions:

• What is the right/best/easiest way to set up/install the ADNM & ASM to the server with no internet? Installation runs but then it ends up on the command screen where it tries to connect to all possible avast download mirrors with obviously no success as there is no internet. I made a test with similar setup and removed the server from the secure network and connected it temporarily to the internet. Installation went fine including the mirror building, but when I put it back to the secure network I ended up in troubles as the server IP was changed. (I don’t have access to it right now and I don’t remember exactly what kind of troubles, may be it was related to the installation package building and clients not finding the server)
  • After installation, how do I configure the server not to even try the updates via network?
  • What is the easiest/best way to keep the VPS (and program itself) up to date? To download the VpsUpd.exe (and the program updates) when they are released and copy them with USB flash to the secure network or to install ADNM&AMS also to the server which is connected to the internet (and which will get automatic updates) and then copy with USB flash the whole mirror(?) folder from it to the AMS server in the secure network?

Regards,

peeaa

av-outsource

Re: Installation and updates of ADNM & AMS with no internet
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 03:56:34 PM »
You could.

get a laptop join it to the secure lan. take the laptop and install ams on it (an additional one to the one on your secure network).

Take the laptop to an internet able lan and update the mirror. then go back to the secure one and tell the secure mirror to update from this location on the laptop. You can edit the mirror location of were the system updates from in the mirror dir.

If you need a design or need to plan it then contact me and i`ll give you more detail.

av-outsource

danny2001s

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 06:31:01 PM »
You could.

get a laptop join it to the secure lan. take the laptop and install ams on it (an additional one to the one on your secure network).

Take the laptop to an internet able lan and update the mirror. then go back to the secure one and tell the secure mirror to update from this location on the laptop. You can edit the mirror location of were the system updates from in the mirror dir.

If you need a design or need to plan it then contact me and i`ll give you more detail.

av-outsource

Is this the only way to perform an update with no internet access? Almost all companies I visited does not allow their servers to go to Internet... is like I'll need a special dedicated server just for avast. How can I solve this? I think I may need to perform offline updates in the future.

peeaa

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 02:27:05 PM »
av-outsource,

Thanks for the tip, however I need more details:   

Let's assume:

My AMS (no internet) is "ams.mydomain.loc" in 192.168.0.2
My laptop (when in secure network) is "laptop.mydomain.loc" in 192.168.0.3 and it has recently updated mirror (from internet)

How do I tell to my AMS to update/mirror from 192.168.0.3 and not to try from anywhere else? Which is the config file to be edited or is the setting somewhere in the ADNM management console? And where do I specify how often it tries to update from the laptop (or how do I say "update now")?

Thanks,

peeaa

av-outsource

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »
I think we solved this offline?