Author Topic: Delayed start of Avast after booting  (Read 4509 times)

muffiemae

Delayed start of Avast after booting
« on: February 16, 2007, 05:47:21 PM »
After I turn on my computer, it takes 5+ minutes for Avast to start. I have WIN98se. Does anyone have suggestions about how to get Avast to start immediately upon boot up?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Delayed start of Avast after booting
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 05:49:49 PM »
What else is loading a boottime?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 06:39:24 PM »
Do you have any other security programs installed ?
What is your firewall ?

What is the sensitivity setting of Standard Shield, Normal (default), High or Custome ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

muffiemae

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 08:00:49 PM »
Standard Shield is set at "normal." My firewall is Sygate Personal Firewall. The Avast issue existed before I installed Sygate. No other security programs installed. Quick Time loads at startup, but the Avast problem began before I installed Quick Time.

Thanks for any help with this!

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 08:05:31 PM »
How long have you been using avast? Was the problem there always or just recently?

What was your previous av and how was it removed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 08:31:27 PM »
Standard Shield is set at "normal." My firewall is Sygate Personal Firewall. The Avast issue existed before I installed Sygate. No other security programs installed. Quick Time loads at startup, but the Avast problem began before I installed Quick Time.

QuickTime certainly doesn't need to load on boot, it is a media player (that wants to take over the world) and that only needs to run when you click on a QT media file. As Eddy said what else loads on start-up, you should be very restrictive on what you load on boot, only essential programs should be loaded, firewall, anti-virus, security programs, etc. Any other programs should be opened when required and when the task is completed, closed.

Win98 doesn't handle system resources very well and the more that is loaded on boot will eat into those resources extending the overall boot duration. What processor and how much RAM do you have ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

muffiemae

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 09:54:55 PM »
I have a 1.3GB AMD processor and 512 mb RAM. I have been using Avast for more than 3 years. This situation with Avast has been going on for at least a year - and I'm just getting around to asking about a solution!

I formerly used Norton anti-virus but is is impossible to get their hooks out of the registry. Therefore, to get rid of all their crap (and the problems the lingering Norton stuff caused), I long ago formatted my hard drive. Nothing but Avast has been used since.

I know XP has certain advantages but I hate XP. However, I guess I'll be dragged kicking and screaming to XP one of these days....or to learning Linux.

By the way, I can't find any way to disable Quick Time startup at boot. Maybe I'll just uninstall  it. I installed it only a short time ago and don't use it anyway.

Thanks.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 10:07:04 PM »

By the way, I can't find any way to disable Quick Time startup at boot. Maybe I'll just uninstall it. I installed it only a short time ago and don't use it anyway.

Does it not appear in msconfig? or the start up folder?

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 10:21:30 PM »
Do you by any chance, set your firewall to "block all" when you turn your computer off?

avvidro

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 10:22:18 PM »
By the way, I can't find any way to disable Quick Time startup at boot. Maybe I'll just uninstall it. I installed it only a short time ago and don't use it anyway. Thanks.
In this case you may use "Quick time alternative", or YES, you can disable Quick time on boot this way: you right-click in the QT icon in system tray and choose the option called settings or the like. A dialog box appears. There, in one of its tabs, there is an check box option saying something like "load quick time at boot or system tray". Uncheck it and voilá, it does not show anymore.