Author Topic: trojan backdoor spabot  (Read 4223 times)

jerryoz39

trojan backdoor spabot
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:57:06 PM »
While running a spyware scan I found the above virus (using Spy Sweeper software.)
The virus was removed but keeps comming back. I believe it is responsible for e-mail spam being sent without authorization from my pc.
AVAST does not find virus.

HELP!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: trojan backdoor spabot
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 10:04:03 PM »
If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again) and avast does not detect it, you could:

1) Enable/Disable System restore on Windows ME or Windows XP. System Restore cannot be disabled on Windows 9x and it's not available in Windows 2k.

2) Clean your temporary files. You can use the Windows Advanced Care features for that.

3) It will be good if you download, install, update and run other trojan remover tools: a-squared, Free AVG Antispyware or  SUPERantispyware (trojan removers). Some users recommend Spyware Terminator.

4) Use the immunization of Windows Advanced Care features of spyware/adware cleaning and removal.

In order to help avast detection improvement, send the infected file in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com
Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.

Oh, Welcome.
Can you say what is the infected file name, where was it found (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx)?
What avast! version and virus database are you using? (see About dialog of avast!)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 10:07:42 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

jerryoz39

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:23:50 PM »
I am using home version 4.7.  Spy Sweeper does not list the infected file.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 10:27:24 PM »
Spy Sweeper does not list the infected file.
Strange... Are you sure this is not a Spy Sweeper false positive?
To know if a file is a false positive, you should be able to submit it to JOTTI or VirusTotal. But if you can't even know which file it is...  ::)

Are your avast version 4.7.942 and your VPS 000704-0 ?
The best things in life are free.

jerryoz39

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 10:29:47 PM »
Do not believe it to be a false positive. My computer is currently sending mass spam mailings which are a characteristic of this particular virus.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 10:30:31 PM »
Hi jerryoz39,

If you were infected by a case of the trojan spabot here the removal information for you: http://www.spywareremove.com/removeTrojanSpabot.html

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

jerryoz39

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 10:37:56 PM »
Polonus, what is the meaning of your logo?

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 10:54:32 PM »
Well jerryoz39,

I hope the admin moderators will look the other way, because answering this question is goin' off-topic slightly, and we have no off-topic forum section anymore. Well I am a Dutchman and I married a lovely wife that is Polish to the core. So the avatar was made by the best avatar developer this forum has, Sasha from Canada, a genuine artist - it is a combination of the Polish National Coat of Arms the Crowned White Eagle and the Colours of the Polish Flag white and red. Learned to read and write Polish, which was a murderously difficult job, but gave me the riches of the Polish culture etc.
I became a malware fighter because I once lost a complete OS to malware, and I swore to myself that this would not be that easy the next time around, then I installed avast because a consumer's program advice, and became a member of the Avast Webforum with now more then 3000 postings to my name. Hope you enjoy it here, there is loads to learn to keep comps secure, stay malware free, my friend, greets from,

polonus aka Damian
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 11:32:24 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

jerryoz39

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 11:19:03 PM »
Thank you for your help( and logo explanation) I too am Polish (1/2) and thought the logo looked familiar.