Author Topic: Drop down menus slow with avast  (Read 3204 times)

MrRAlan

Drop down menus slow with avast
« on: March 15, 2007, 01:58:13 AM »
When avast is running, if I click on a drop down menu, the highlight only moves down a few items in the list and then it halts there for a while before it proceeds.  Is there a way I can configure avast so this behavior stops?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Drop down menus slow with avast
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 02:39:40 AM »
What drop down menus ?
I can't see how there would be much interaction with them by avast, is the avast icon rotating whilst this is happening ?
What is the sensitivity setting of Standard shield (Normal, the default or higher) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 10:26:21 PM »
I can't understand either, can you rephrase or post a screenshot of the drop down menu with
Gadwin PrintScreen to get a screenshot (http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/) or the free version of WinSnap 1.1.10 (http://www.filehippo.com/download_winsnap/?2173).

To know how to post a screenshot, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=8982.0
The best things in life are free.

MrRAlan

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 09:16:03 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  I forgot about this question!!!  Anyways, it's hard to capture a screen shot of this activity.  I will try to explain a little clearer.

Open a folder in Windows Explorer.  Right-click on the background and a drop-down menu will appear.  Move the cursor down to the bottom item in the menu and you will see that the highlight cannot keep up with your cursor.  It will stop on one of the menu items for a little bit and then it will move down to your cursor.  While it is stopped, the cursor is animated.  It doesn't happen all the time.  It will happen until things are cached and then it works properly.  And yes, the avast icon is spinning in the system tray when the highlight is stopped.  My sensitivity is set for Normal.  Thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:00:58 PM »
Then answer this question which I asked previously.
What is the sensitivity setting of Standard shield (Normal, the default or higher) ?

I have no such issue with explorer, you could enable this, 'Show detailed info on performed actions' it will show what is being scanned.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MrRAlan

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 03:04:06 AM »
I did answer it.  It is set for Normal.  I will try the advanced setting you mention and see what happens.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 05:59:17 AM »
Same here, with my Windows XP system(s - including the 7 year old Dell with a 1GHz processor)  I cannot reproduce this problem even with the Standard Shield set to high sensitivity.   

I will try later on one of my very old laptops running Windows ME with current avast.

Later edit:

Just tried this on my old laptop with Windows ME.  Again, even with Standard Shield on high sensitivity, I was unable to reproduce the problem.

I understand that does not make the problem reported by MrRAlan less real ... I suggest that other installed components may need further checking.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 06:29:15 AM by alanrf »