Author Topic: Explaining a Vista ban...  (Read 4974 times)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Explaining a Vista ban...
« on: March 22, 2007, 04:46:50 PM »
Comments from Simon Szykman, Chief Information Officer at NIST. Interesting and informative...

http://news.com.com/Explaining+a+Vista+ban/2008-1016_3-6169494.html?tag=nefd.lede

drhayden1

Re: Explaining a Vista ban...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 05:38:52 PM »
nice read..wish vista wasn't installed on my quad ::)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 12:35:53 AM »
Why? I'm running Vista on my dual core and it works just fine. I can game everything just fine, i can watch movies just fine, i can listen to music just fine. And Aero Glass looks damn cool even though it doesn't have any super drastic effects.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 12:56:19 AM »
nice read..wish vista wasn't installed on my quad ::)

Why? I'm running Vista on my dual core and it works just fine. I can game everything just fine, i can watch movies just fine, i can listen to music just fine. And Aero Glass looks damn cool even though it doesn't have any super drastic effects.

Are you guys sure you read the linked article? (This wasn't a trash Vista post.)

If you had, you would have discovered that Simon Szykman, the head IT guy at the National Institute of Standards and Technology, is explaining that Vista was in fact not literally "banned", and he expands on the thought processes they will go through regarding future adoption of new operating systems by the NIST (and I assume other government agencies).

If you missed it, take a look. As I said, the article is "interesting and informative".

Edit:

One of the things I found of interest, was the wide variety of operating systems in use by the NIST(and I assume other agencies). Personally, I thought that one of the reasons that Vista would have problems being adopted, was that the majority of government agencies were still on Windows 2000, which I would assume would require significant upgrades to hardware to adopt Vista. But, unless I read this wrong, I guess not.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:06:22 AM by OrangeCrate »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:02:54 AM »
Hi OrangeCrate,

That is the same attitude why some scientists still write wit a stylo. I think it has nothing to do with a rescape. The monopoly-battle or "monopoly-game", despite some EEC anti-trust rumblings in the background, has already been won for Big M$ and their "lakeys". And that is OK, sign of the times, run of history. What aspects I do not like as a consumer is the one-sidedness and the restrictiveness of Vista.
No tinkering allowed, take it or leave it, "we decide what is good for ye", DRM, TCPA-compliant, no full DOS operability. From the article you can learn that all these considerings does not play any role anymore, all these negative developments (not from the viewpoint of the corporations) are ignored and accepted. I actually can't understand why this is news. I did not expect it to have been otherwise.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 10:19:24 AM »
...one-sidedness and the restrictiveness of Vista. No tinkering allowed, take it or leave it, "we decide what is good for ye"...

Though I seldom do, as it relates to the government's adoption of Vista, I have to humbly disagree with you this time. I think the Feds are clearly calling the shots on this one. Particularly after reading the article "Feds mandate 'secure" Windows set-up" that I just posted. Simon Szykman sounds pretty sharp to me...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:21:22 AM by OrangeCrate »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 11:04:15 AM »
Hi OrangeCrate,

OK, OK, so much the better for them, never too late to adopt such an attitude. If you consider this as some sort of wake-up call, Polonus will be the first person to congratulate you. I hope you are right, my friend, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart.

your anti-malware friend,

polonus

drhayden1

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 11:08:14 AM »
Are you guys sure you read the linked article? (This wasn't a trash Vista post.)yes i did and it was interesting and such 8)
don't get me wrong..i like vista-just having a few minor issues with it and its new so give it time but rather would have the xp home 2 i have on my laptop also on my quad after being used to it after all this time

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:38:09 PM by drhayden1 »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 03:57:56 PM »
OK, OK, so much the better for them, never too late to adopt such an attitude. If you consider this as some sort of wake-up call, Polonus will be the first person to congratulate you. I hope you are right, my friend, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart.

I agree with you on their attitude to the consumer market. "Here's what we've got, take it or leave it." But, that the same as buying a new car. Basic model, and a list of upgrades and packages. Hard to tell the manufacturer to drop the engine from another brand into theirs.

I only disagreed with you on their working with the government. It sounds like the Feds know exactly what they want, and if Microsoft doesn't provide it, they will look seriously at other options. But, from the article it sounds like Microsoft is working with them, and that the Feds don't expect any long term problems that would stop the implementation of Vista.

I was surprised, that in addition to Windows products, they also use Unix, Apple and Linux. Like I said a couple of times, "interesting and informative".

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »
Ho OrangeCrate,

It is such a pity that average users are so far from developing these attitudes where BIG M$ is concerned. I hope these people are also speaking up for us: the end-user. In an ideal world this could work, alas we do not live in an ideal world. But as long as there's hope.....

polonus

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 05:49:23 PM »
It is such a pity that average users are so far from developing these attitudes where BIG M$ is concerned...

I think that consumers are learning that options exist to Microsoft if they really want one. There's always been Apple. Vista has also created a lot of interest in Desktop Linux, due to it's cost (in most cases, free as in beer), and it's ability to run well on older computers. (A default installation of Ubuntu as an example, runs like a champ on 256 meg of RAM.)

Dual booting has been a hot topic on a lot of forums, and there also seems to be a greater awareness of other open source programs, such as OOo as an alternative to MS Office.

I think the biggest drawback to Linux in many people's minds, is the vast array of options available with the various distributions. Choice is good, but I think they've been accustomed to having the one size fits all business model of MS and other closed source providers for a long time.

For many average users, it would be hard to make a choice, and then to make the jump. And of course, there's the issue of "pull throughs" for MS when people buy a new computer.

After Microsoft issues an SP1 service pack, I think that Vista will be very good, and from the hints were getting on where they are going with their next generation OS, that one will be a great one.

You've been offered an opinion. Accept or Deny?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:17:48 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 09:25:59 PM »
Hi OrangeCrate,

I like your style of reasoning, and I think we often think along the same lines. Always like to read your opinions, at least yours are very much your own, and I like that kind of people. They are "upbuilding", as you know what I mean to say.

pol

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 10:06:29 PM »
...I think we often think along the same lines...

:)