Author Topic: Newest version: memory scan error  (Read 3784 times)

solcroft

Newest version: memory scan error
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:06:50 AM »
To keep things brief, avast! produces the error message shown in the attached screenshot whenever I launch it.

I'm running avast! under WinXP Home SP2, with no other applications other than SandboxIE running in the background. Reinstalling + repairing the installation + etc. does not make the problem go away.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Newest version: memory scan error
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 12:47:23 AM »
To keep things brief, avast! produces the error message shown in the attached screenshot whenever I launch it.

I'm running avast! under WinXP Home SP2, with no other applications other than SandboxIE running in the background. Reinstalling + repairing the installation + etc. does not make the problem go away.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?
No problem here and I have the latest version on 4 computers. :(
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 01:04:43 AM »
If you run ashsimp2.exe from the avast folder, will the interface open?
And if you run ashsimpl.exe?
The best things in life are free.

solcroft

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 07:16:34 AM »
If you run ashsimp2.exe from the avast folder, will the interface open?
And if you run ashsimpl.exe?
Hi Tech,

The interface WILL open after the error in the memory scan, after you click OK. Running those two files launches the interface with no problems either.

solcroft

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 07:45:19 AM »
I've apparently pinpointed the error's cause to a conflict with SandboxIE v2.85, specifically the sandbox control file (control.exe). avast! displays the error message only if the control.exe process is resident in memory; strangely enough, the main sandbox service (sbiesvc.exe) doesn't cause any problems.

I'll be posting this on the SandboxIE forums as well, and in the meantime hopefully Alwil and Ronen can get in touch with each other to see what's causing the conflict and hopefully fix it.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 08:20:40 AM »
solcroft, are you saying that this only happens with the most recent version of avast (4.7.981)? Frankly, I don't think there have been any changes regarding memory scanning in this build...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

solcroft

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 08:29:36 AM »
solcroft, are you saying that this only happens with the most recent version of avast (4.7.981)? Frankly, I don't think there have been any changes regarding memory scanning in this build...

Thanks
Vlk
As far as I've been able to observe, yes. I've been able to use avast! along with SandboxIE with no noticeable problems until I upgraded avast! to the new version yesterday.