Author Topic: Avast Home messed my computer(s) totally up!  (Read 7811 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Home messed my computer(s) totally up!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 09:48:31 PM »
It doesn't sound like the same isue on this post so I doubt the suggestions here will have any effect.

It sounds more like your firewall blocking avast after elements changed after the update.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashMaiSv.exe and ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entries for them, reconnect to the internet and check your email, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GreGambler

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 10:08:29 PM »
- Webpages using Java don't work like they should

I've got the same problem.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 11:23:21 PM »
avast doesn't discriminate against javascript unless it is detected as infected in which case an alert will be displayed.

Southpark's comment on different browsers and the inconsistency if the problem would lead me to believe that it is browser related, if it were totally an avast issue I would expect it to be consistent across all browsers.

Quote from: southpark
It seems that it affected MSIE7 the most, Firefox works a little bit better (but not OK), Opera works fine.

Not that I doubt it is the same can you be more specific, what browsers have you tried, any example URL we can try, your firewall, your OS, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

southpark

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 07:00:07 PM »
avast doesn't discriminate against javascript unless it is detected as infected in which case an alert will be displayed.

Southpark's comment on different browsers and the inconsistency if the problem would lead me to believe that it is browser related, if it were totally an avast issue I would expect it to be consistent across all browsers.

Quote from: southpark
It seems that it affected MSIE7 the most, Firefox works a little bit better (but not OK), Opera works fine.

Not that I doubt it is the same can you be more specific, what browsers have you tried, any example URL we can try, your firewall, your OS, etc.

I wanted to send you log file but your email address is hidden in your profile.

As I said - I couldn't get Windows Update to work (on any computer), System Restore didn't work either (as far as I know it uses some components from IE). WinXP machines have MSIE7, and Firefox 3 Alpha (after some pages didn't work properly I installed version 2 but it was the same) and Opera 9.2. Win2000 has MSIE6.

I also had problems with SMS messaging system (www.smscity.net - but you have to login), couldn't vote on some radio station here and (as I forgot to mention before) router's control panel didn't work properly - for example when I was changing some TCP/UDP settings I couldn't select them in the menu.

Well, everything is OK now, thanks to Oldman's solution.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 07:57:18 PM »
I wanted to send you log file but your email address is hidden in your profile.

That is what the forums are for, you can either attach the log file but preferably paste the contents (or relevant part) in the topic. This way more people are available to view any log and offer assistance. The reason my email address isn't available is I don't want it publicly available for much the same reason your email is hidden, so it can't be harvested and subjected to spam.

However my post was directly related to GreGambler's post (directly above mine) stating the same problem as yours and my quote of your original post was to seek clarification from GreGambler on the browsers he had tried and the results.