Author Topic: Little man no longer tells me I am updated?  (Read 2469 times)

raylinstephens

Little man no longer tells me I am updated?
« on: May 20, 2007, 11:37:32 PM »
I got Satellite Internet a week ago and since then I no longer hear that my Avast! has been updated. 

I found the older posting and I repaired Avast! in add/remove programs and I checked in Program Settings and it is not set to be silent.

Can you tell me what is Push iAVS and is the box supposed to be x'd?

Thank you,
Linda

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Little man no longer tells me I am updated?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 11:45:51 PM »
More importantly than the little man telling you that you have had an update, is the auto update working, what avast! version (4.7.1001) and VPS file (virus database) number, e.g. 000741-4 (see about avast!) ?

Since you got Satellite did you change the Program Settings, Update (Basic) settings to reflect this change and how were you previously connected (I assume dial-up) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

raylinstephens

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 12:06:33 AM »
Yes, I checked and both have the correct versions.  I have run update manually since I don't hear it anymore but I am always told that I am already up to date.

I did look and changed to connected all the time but I put my computer "to sleep" when I am not there.  And yes, I was dialup before.

Only once did XP tell me it wasn't up to date but when I checked by running update I really was up to date.  I just miss the voice telling me so. 

I am running Avast! 4 Home on my Dad's computer - he has dialup and I never thought to change him to always connected - and he still gets the message about being updated.  Should I change the setting back to dialup?

Thanks,
Linda

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 01:17:17 AM »
Personally on dial-up I have my settings to Ask when an update is available, that pops up a notification box (bottom right of the screen) and if it is inconvenient I click the box to download the update. Otherwise I ignore it and the box goes after a few seconds and I do a manual update when it is convenient. This way because I have been notified in this manner I don't get the audible update notification.

I'm not sure what form of satellite connection you have, some have a normal dial-up up-line connection and then the data is downloaded by satellite, because of that I don't know if your Program Settings, Update (Connections) should be set to always connected or dial-up. If the up-line connection is by landline I would have thought leaving it set to dial-up, if it is satellite up-line and down-line (unusual, expensive) then set to always connected.

Can you tell me what is Push iAVS and is the box supposed to be x'd?
Sorry missed this before, it is a means of pushing a VPS (what used to be called iAVS), you receive an email notification that an update is available and the program grabs it.

If you tick enable you will then need to Register, giving your email details, etc. However, you don't have to worry about this as it is only available with the Pro version. Try to tick the box and you will see the notification it is a pro function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

raylinstephens

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 05:19:09 AM »
Thank you for the additional information.

Something did the trick, my Avast is again telling me that it has been updated.  It could have been from the older posting that said to "repair" the Avast program.

Thank you very much for your advice.

BTW, it is up/down satellite and it is pricey but it is my only option to be faster than dialup here in the boonies.

Linda

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 03:11:35 PM »
Your welcome.