Author Topic: Mistake  (Read 4205 times)

kalaganbis

Mistake
« on: July 10, 2007, 02:11:39 PM »
Hi everybody,
After having done a Virus Scan i have by mistake deleted all the viruses  that Avast had found.
Doing that i have also deleted a file that was useful to Windows XP, because each time i start my computer i have a message RUNDLL in a window telling me that  " c:windows/system32/mwshmfx.dll " is not found.
 It looks as though the "mwshmfx" is a program.
 Can somebody tell me where can i find this program and how to install it again ?
 Can you also tell me if it is possible for me to get back (recover) all the files that were in the Avast 's journal that i have deleted ?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Kalaganbis

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Mistake
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 02:17:07 PM »
Hi kalaganbis,

I don't think mwshmfx.dll is a legitimate program file.

Can you post a HijackThis! log?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial42.html

You probably need to delete the registry entry for the file rather than restore it.

You should really put detected files in the chest (quarantine) rather than delete them- that way they can be restored in the event of a false positive detection.

In this case however, mwshmfx.dll appears to be a random file name and is probably malware. Post the log and we will help you remove the entry that is causing the error message.
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 03:04:40 PM »
I too support Frank's assumption about it not being a legit file, zero hits on google for the file name is usually a sign. Having deleted the file, the registry entry still tries to call and run the application and that is why you are getting the message.

HJT will list all info on items running or attempting or listed to run on your system so we can help remove the entry.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kalaganbis

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »
ok thanks guys :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 03:17:40 PM »
Post the log and we will help you remove the entry that is causing the error message.
We're waiting...
It will be good if you download, install, update and run other trojan remover tools: a-squared and/or Free AVG Antispyware (trojan removers). Some users recommend SUPERantispyware or Spyware Terminator.
The best things in life are free.