Author Topic: Avast turns off Adobe Gamma  (Read 6375 times)

J S H

Avast turns off Adobe Gamma
« on: August 17, 2007, 12:23:32 PM »
Hi
Help please.  I use Avast with Vista.  Everything has worked fine for some months. But now, when I turn on, Adobe Gamma loads at startup as usual but at the end of the startup process Avast now seems to turn it off.  I think Avast is the problem because when everything is loaded, the Avast icon is rotating and at the very end of this rotation process (its loading I guess) Adobe Gamma is switched off.  I have to go to Start> Programs to turn it back on manually.  Adobe Gamma still shows up in the Startup menu.  Can someone tell me how I get Gamma to stay on like it used to please.  Thanks       J S H

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast turns off Adobe Gamma
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:54:44 PM »
avast does not disable ANY program that is not infected.
So I can't see avast as guilty here, it scans but not turn off, shutdown or disable anything...
Which other programs are you running at Vista?
Did you try to uninstall Adobe Gamma and install it again?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 02:59:55 PM »
avast doesn't block or turn off programs, it merely scans them and if it finds infection it will alert and all hell will break loose, but it doesn't block or turn off programs.

The avast icon rotates when it is scanning, so lets just consider this, if it were avast turning it off (and as I said it doesn't do this) do you not think it would do it even when you manually start Adobe Gamma ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

J S H

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:26:18 PM »
Thanks.   As to other progs, lots of 'em from Photoshop, Nero, Outlook etc etc etc.  Avast says my computer is clean, as does the Spyware prog.  Avast rotates when scanning and when it is doing that the turn off occurs. Why does that happen?  If avast is not the guilty party what is?  The fact that this happens when avast is scanning seems odd to me but I'm not a computer expert.  Why does a manual start keep it on Ok and why has ths started happening?  Is there some way i can look at what avast is "rejecting/ changing or whatever " when it scans to see if Adobe gamma loader is there and then turn that off?  In short, where do I go now?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 03:38:50 PM »
as does the Spyware prog.
Which is it?

If avast is not the guilty party what is?
Your antispyware, for instance.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 03:50:43 PM »
We are probably as baffled as you as to why this is happening and even more so at the inconsistency in why there is a problem with Gamma not loading at start up yet loads OK manually.

There is nothing to look at in respect of what avast is rejecting, it simply doesn't have that function built in, it doesn't reject/turn off unless there is an infection detected. It also doesn't change anything either.

Is this version compatible with Vista, as I didn't see it in this page on how gamma works, http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=321608&sliceId=1.

You might want to check out this google search as it returns many hits (not all relevant), http://www.google.com/search?q=Adobe+gamma+fails+to+start+on+boot.

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/...../40s01/40s01.asp
Q. I’ve had the same problem on my old Dell computer, as well as with my newer Dell 5150, which I recently purchased. I’m trying to set up gamma through the Control Panel’s Adobe Gamma. When I go into the Control Panel and click Adobe Gamma, the Description is sRGB IEC61996-2.1 and the Phosphors is HDTV (CCIR 709). I slide the gamma arrow to where I want it and then click OK. It then asks me to save sRGB Color Space Profile as ICC Profiles. When I click OK, it tells me one already exists, so I click OK again. It replaces the old file and everything is fine—except for one problem. If I shut the computer down, the next time I start the computer, the gamma seems to be reset to some default. If I don’t log off and keep the computer running, it doesn’t change. How can I get this setting to be permanent?

A. What we have here is a collision between Windows XP and Adobe. WinXP wants to keep its default ICC (International Color Consortium) profile. When you make and save your changes, an Adobe application, the Adobe Gamma loader, comes into play and it overrides the WinXP default.

However, when you reboot or otherwise restart your system, the Adobe Gamma loader isn’t starting at the same time. According to documentation at Adobe’s Web site (www.adobe.com), the Adobe Gamma loader is supposed to have been installed at the same time as you installed the Adobe application that added Adobe Gamma to your system. And a shortcut to the loader was supposed to have been added to your Startup folder (located in the Start menu in All Programs) so that it would start at the same time Windows loads. If this didn’t occur or if you removed the icon from the Startup folder by mistake, your gamma settings won’t be installed each time you restart Windows. Placing the Adobe Gamma loader shortcut in your Startup folder should resolve the problem. To add a program to this directory, simply locate the program you wish to add, create a shortcut for it, copy the shortcut, and then paste the shortcut in the Startup folder.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

J S H

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 06:11:55 PM »
David, Tech.  Thanks.  I'll look at the sites you mention.  the spyware prog is Spyware Terminator.  BTW, I use the Vista Firewall.  the strange thing is the on-off nature of all this.  It comes on then goes off, rather like the problem the other use quoted has, except this happens almost straight after turn on and not after close down and switch on.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 06:36:37 PM »
Is it absolutely essential to run on boot, I know it is for monitor colour balance but that is more a requirement when you are using Photoshop is it not ?

Quote from: From my previous quote
Placing the Adobe Gamma loader shortcut in your Startup folder should resolve the problem.

Is there an entry in the startup folder (is is that different in Vista) ?
You didn't answer the question about Vista compatibility as I didn't see anything to positively confirm that ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 08:58:51 PM »
The spyware prog is Spyware Terminator.
It could scan the startup items... are the link for Adobe disappearing or it's there, Adobe is loaded (on) and then, suddenly, turned off?

J S H

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 10:42:17 PM »
Yep, the Adobe is Vista compatible.  There is still an entry in the Startup folder. And yeah, Adobe is loaded and then turns off at the end of the rotation of the Avast icon.  As to your other question, no its not essential to turn Gamma on at the start, and I can get it going manually.  It's just a nuisance, and irritating in that its worked perfectly for the last three months and now just started acting daft

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 11:45:24 PM »
I assume that when it was working fine you also had avast installed ?

Is what runs the gamma launcher an MS Startup entry in MSCONFIG ?
If so I suggest you uncheck the entry for it in MSCONFIG and try the shortcut in the startup folder mentioned in the above quotes.