Author Topic: Internet blocked while auto-update dawdles?  (Read 3934 times)

tribble

Internet blocked while auto-update dawdles?
« on: August 26, 2007, 03:55:50 PM »
Each time I boot my machine and log in, I have to wait 5 to 7 minutes for Avast to finish thinking about updating its database files before I can get my email. I have turned the email scanner off, but my mail program sits frozen until the Avast setup completion dialog comes up with the total time elapsed. One, why does it take so long to get the update and process it? Two, why does the entire network have to WAIT while this occurs?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Internet blocked while auto-update dawdles?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 03:59:24 PM »
What is your firewall ?
What type of internet connection are you using ?

You can delay the avast check for updates, but it depends on your connection method, so that answer is important to our response.

There may be other things in the mix which are having an effect on avast.setup.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tribble

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 05:34:09 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

Internet connection is via cable modem with the usual router/switch/firewall appliance attached. The modem and firewall are on and going before the desktop is started, so there is no delay on their part.

Delaying the update check is one thing; having all network access out of the machine suspended whenever it occurs is another. Is that supposed to happen? Is it by design? Or is it some mystery interaction with my OS installation?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 05:45:55 PM »
Internet connection is via cable modem with the usual router/switch/firewall appliance attached. The modem and firewall are on and going before the desktop is started, so there is no delay on their part.
To delay the update of avast into a permanent internet connection (DSL) you can change the value AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds into avast4.ini file. Details on 'Settings' in my signature or http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647

Can you test?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 05:46:10 PM »
For most people it isn't a problem and is often an issue of conflict with another service, etc.

avast has a fast start to give protection earlier in the boot this may mean a service isn't available at the time update is attempted. However we can delay the check so any possible conflict shouldn't be an issue.

You need to edit the [InetWD] section of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini file and add the following line (depending on your connection type enter one or other of the Bold lines below):
Broadband connections, add this line: AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120
[InetWD]
AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120

The figure is seconds and the above equates to two minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 180, 240, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tribble

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 02:47:49 AM »
Well, I made the changes as suggested above, but Eudora still freezes until after avast has done its business. Interestingly enough, Thunderbird does not. I switched to Thunderbird for a different reason altogether, but I'm glad to have avoided the freezing.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 03:39:26 AM »
Sorry I have zero experience with Eudora so I have no idea why it would be so with it and not thunderbird. Perhaps your settings also try to collect email early. I don't let anything on my system connect unless I initiate it. That includes email, being on dial-up is one reason, security is another as I don't expect anything to connect automatically, that way if something does I'm suspicious.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 03:59:12 AM »
I have zero experience with Eudora too.
But what is freezing in your computer, the logon process? the Eudora program while you're checking the email?
The best things in life are free.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 07:28:02 PM »
I suspect this is (at least the mail part) strictly a Eudora thing and has nothing to do with avast.  I had problems with Eudora locking up too (usually while checking mail, or when switching to look at a different mailbox), regardless of whether avast was updating.

I finally ditched Eudora several months back in favor of TBird, since Eudora had reached the end of the line regrading any further development (from Qualcomm, anyway).  And no problems since then.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent