Author Topic: 1. Manually updating avast! 2. Unauthorized modification of avast! core EXE's  (Read 2290 times)

mayank

I've been using my free home edition for about an year now without any problems.
I suspected some unauthorized UDP comm taking place and so installed ZoneAlarm on my PC a few days back and crashed my OS (Win XP Pro).
I had to format my drive, since XP couldn't be reinstalled even after repeated attempts.

The point is, I had about 24 Megs of updates I downloaded over the year from my dial-up connection and I don't want to do that again.
1. Is there a way I can manually update the vps database as well as the av engine, as i've got all the vpu files with me ?

2. After the Welcome screen (Win XP), avast! reports unauthorized modification of all its service EXE's : ashServ, ashUpdSv, and all others.
My OS refuses to load the Explorer.exe shell as directed in winlogon. I've to manually load my Explorer shell from Task manager.
The services seem to be running normal though.

Help !

kubecj

Simply drop vpus to setup directory, updater will sort them out, either use them (no download) or discard them (and download).

To point two - may be a virus or malfunctioning hw.