Author Topic: Possible incompatability with VMWare Player  (Read 2853 times)

jvdg

Possible incompatability with VMWare Player
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:08:05 AM »
I am using avast! version 4.7 Home Edition build Sep2007 (4.7.1043) on a Windows XP SP2 system.
I run a nightly full scan on all my local hard disks. The last few days my system has been crashing overnight while the scan has been running.
I believe that it may be due to my having run the VMWare player. Even when the player is stopped, a number of processes relating to VMWare continue to run and will do so until the computer is re-started. I think that the crash occurs when avast is scanning the files related to these processes. After killing these VMWare processes, from TaskManager the scan runs through without an issue.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Possible incompatability with VMWare Player
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
It's quite strange... I don't think there could be any interference between avast! and VMware processes.
Any more details on the crash? Is it a bluescreen? (If yes, there should be a minidump file generated...)

jvdg

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 03:31:17 AM »
I can't exactly confirm if there was a bluescreen. I schedule ashQuick.exe to run nightly scans on my entire hard drive. When the problem occurred then I would find that my system had restarted itself overnight so I was not there to actually see it. To determine that this occurred during the virus scan, I ran ashAvast.exe and performed a scan using the Avast Simple User Interface. The scan ran fine for some time but when it tried to scan what I believe was a file connected with a VMWare networking process Avast crashed and windows displayed it's "This application has encountered an error and must close" (or words to that effect) type of dialog. Killing the VMware process and then re-running the scan then allows it to complete successfully.
I will see if I can duplicate this scenario again and get more information.

Thankyou

jvdg

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 11:23:57 AM »
As per my previous post I have attempted to duplicate this issue. The scans seems to succeed now in the same situation where they had been previously failing. Something has obviously changed am I'm not sure what but as long as all works fine now I suppose it doesn't really matter.

Thankyou for your attention.