Author Topic: Killnotes : not a virus !  (Read 3759 times)

lionelperret

Killnotes : not a virus !
« on: October 18, 2007, 11:26:25 AM »
I use for 6 years the program Killnotes which kills the Lotus Notes tasks when there is a problem with this program in order not to reboot my computer.
For now about 1 month, each time I use this program, avast tells me there is a virus : Win32:Trojan-gen {VC} and so I have to stop avast, run the program and start avast again (I work with Windows vista, avast famiily 4.7). Is there something I can do more simple than that ?

Thanks !

mouniernetwork

Re: Killnotes : not a virus !
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
Is it a home-made prgram ?

If not where did you download it from ?
Check virustotal.com to see if other antivirus detect it

Al968

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Killnotes : not a virus !
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 01:17:30 PM »
Most probably a false positive. To know if a file is a false positive, please submit it to JOTTI or VirusTotal and let us know the result. If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com
Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks. VirusTotal and Jotti both have file size limits 10 and 15MB each.

As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be carefull, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
After that, please, periodically check it - scan it into Chest, right clicking the file -  there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected as being infected then you can also remove it from the Exclusion list.
The best things in life are free.