Author Topic: Need help with virus  (Read 5376 times)

paula reno

Need help with virus
« on: October 18, 2007, 01:35:30 AM »
I'm really new at this.  I ran a thorough scan with Avast! and got a virus message that said to move to chest.  I thought I did, but it came back two more times with the same virus note and at the end of the scan said an error occurred during moving the file to the chest, so it's still in my system, I found out on rescanning.  The malware name was Whale-9216, Virus/Worm, with a VPS version listed.  The line telling the location of the file was so long I couldn't see all that was listed for file location.  What do I need to do?  Thank you for any help.  paula :-[

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Need help with virus
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 01:42:38 AM »
If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you could follow the general cleaning procedure:

1. Disable System Restore on Windows ME or Windows XP. System Restore cannot be disabled on Windows 9x and it's not available in Windows 2k. After boot you can enable System Restore again after step 3.

2. Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUp or the Windows Advanced Care features for that.

3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).

4. It will be good if you download, install, update and run AVG Antispyware. Some users recommend SUPERantispyware, Spyware Terminator and/or a-squared (take care about false positives).
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

5. If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Panda.

6. Also, if you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here and, specially, scan and submit to on-line analysis the RunScanner log would help to identify the problem and the solution.

7. After you're clean, use the immunization of SpywareBlaster or, which is better, the Windows Advanced Care features of spyware/adware cleaning and removal.

8. Finally, when you're clean, check for insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector to update insecure applications and avoid reinfection.
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 10:18:11 AM »
I tried Avast! cleanup online and still have the Whale-9216 virus/worm showing up.  Please be patient with me but I'm REAllY a newbie.  I don't know about disabling system restore or cleaning temporary files.  At one time I had several antivirus programs and antispyware programs on my computer and it totally crashed.  I lost everything and had to start from scratch reinstalling everything on it (with professional help).  Believe me, I need all the help I can get.  I appreciate your input, Tech, but I need a little more basic info to do what you suggested.  HELP and also thanks.

(The above is from another thread by op) 31006.msg257136#msg257136

To disable system restore, click on the appropriate operating system in Tech's reply, they're links to instructions on disabling system restore.

For cleaning your temp files, you can click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, disk cleanup. Or again, use the links in tech's post. (blue letters)

Bootimescan-right click the "a" icon near the clock, select start avast antivirus, right click on the skin, a menue will pop up, select schedule boottime scan. Reboot your computer.

We need a bit more info. what is your operating system? Any other security programs running?

To view the name of the file that was detected you can do either of the following. If you moved it to the chest(the right choice, I might add) , start avast antivirus, click on the chest icon to open it. The file you moved to the chest will be under the infected heading. Don't worry, the file is safe there and can't run. The orignal location will be shown. you may have to expand the column to view the entire path/name. To do so, slide the columns left or right at the top of the page.

If the file is not in the chest, right click the "a" icon, select avast log viewer, click on the warning button. You will probably have to expand the columns here also.

Finally, as you have found out the hard way, more than one antivirus program at a time usually spells trouble.  ;D

Please post back, there always someone here.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 10:48:03 AM by oldman »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 01:19:15 PM »
Please post back, there always someone here.
We're waiting 8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 01:22:33 PM »
Paula, here (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=31004) you ask for further help. Please, let us know specifically what help do you need, in which step that I've posted before.