Author Topic: Ran program update on 4.7 Home in XP x64 and now cant login  (Read 2781 times)

pjamedia

Ran program update on 4.7 Home in XP x64 and now cant login
« on: November 14, 2007, 12:50:30 AM »
I am running v4.7 Home in XP Pro x64 and for some crazy reason decided to run an Avast program update today. It updated and asked me to restart which I did, then when I got the Welcome logon screen asking me to select my user, the mouse and keyboard fail to respond. After 5 mins the mouse started working but clicking on my user doesn't present the password challenge box, so I can't login.

Can anyone please help? I now have a scewed PC!

Update - after 10 mins the PC restarted itself and now I do get the password login, but on entering my password, the PC displays 'Loading your personal settings... and then hangs! So still not getting as far as the dsktop.

Thanks,
Paul A

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Ran program update on 4.7 Home in XP x64 and now cant login
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:17:29 AM »
Boot into the safe mode, and from there try to update to the latest beta version; I'd say it could help:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=31426.0

pjamedia

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:51:43 PM »
I restored my OS to a previously taken Ghost image, and updated all apps back to the current versions - apart from Avast! Fortunately I had an image!

Thanks for the info though. I look forward to a working final realease of the version which comes from the present beta!

Thanks again,

Paul
www.pjamedia.com
www.newfemme.com

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 10:57:46 PM »
Regarding the "working" release - of course we are doing our best to make a working release. According to the reports from the people here on forum, it seems that the latest beta fixed the problems with slow application startup on Vista (and XP x64 I think).

I am not 100% sure, however, that your problem is the same (as far as I know, there were no reports about the computer restarting itself) - so it's actually possible that your problem is different (in which case, we'd most likely need some more info to fix the problem).