Author Topic: Avast Home 4.7 detecting Win32:TestAgent-C Trojan  (Read 2313 times)

Omicron

Avast Home 4.7 detecting Win32:TestAgent-C Trojan
« on: December 24, 2007, 04:15:20 AM »
A scan of my Outlook .pst file (outlook.pst) gives a hit by Avast Home for the Win32:TestAgent-C trojan, which I can find virtually nothing about on the web.
Trying to move it to the Chest doesn't seem to do anything, as the next time Avast scans that files (next day or the next minute!), the hit re-appears.
Trying a Move/Rename doesn't solve the problem either.
Deleting doesn't work.
And even if I check the "Don't show this dialog next time" option and click continue, the hit re-appears during the next scan.
The outlook.pst file is 2,000 MBs in size, in case you were wondering.
The file being tested when the hit appears is:
C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst\Personal Folders\Top Of Personal Folders\Sent Items\Fw:
That is taken verbatim from the Avast dialog box. I have no idea where that file actually resides, as I do not "see" it, or that full path name, on my system. It appears, as I noted, when I do a direct scan on the outlook.pst file. BTW, I use Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (12.0.6212.1000) Sp1 MSO
(12.0.6213.1000) as my Email client.
Last, but not least, I have performed a dozen other online malware, trojan and virus checks and no other checker picks up or notes this issue (or any other problems, for that matter)
I want to get rid of it for obvious reasons, as well as the fact that with its appearance, the Avast scanner stops, waiting for me to decide what to do about it and, therefore delays the full system scan until I come back to the machine.
Can anyone help?
I run WinXP SP/2 with all current updates and patches. Avast gets all updates automatically.
I use ZoneAlarm Pro as my firewall, I routinely run AdAware and SpyBot and have Avast do a full system scan twice a week. I also run The Cleaner (MooSoft Software) once a week for trojan checks.
Nothing but Avast Home is showing this problem.
I may be very wrong butr I *think* it might have began after an automatic update of the Avast software itself in the last 2 weeks or so.
Thanks.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast Home 4.7 detecting Win32:TestAgent-C Trojan
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 04:47:17 AM »
outlook.pst is a container file for Microsoft Outlook mail client. I recommend you to open MS Outlook and check the mails for this malware and delete it manually. Deleting outlook.pst will delete ALL your mails. So be careful!
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

evilknight

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:38:03 AM »
I am having the same problem.  I have a file that is being said to have the same Trojan and i have tested the file with many online scanners , panda, Norton Kapersky. Root kit and many other spy ware scanners. None have detected any thing on this file except avast home after a update about 2 weeks ago.
Problem with Avast Home latest update?   Please Advise. (Also i had been running avast pro for the last 2 years with this file in my machine and it did not detect it either.)
    I think we have a FALSE POSITIVE here. Sent you a file to test.    Let me know.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 04:04:09 PM by EvilKnight »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:14:57 PM »
This link is a tutorial on how to help correct a virus detection that you believe to be false:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25009.msg204838#msg204838
or http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=7779.msg62586#msg62586
The best things in life are free.