Author Topic: Need help with an issue, not sure if virus. Thank You  (Read 2830 times)

falar2me

Need help with an issue, not sure if virus. Thank You
« on: December 31, 2007, 04:21:09 AM »
I love my computer, but viruses I don't understand, so I tend not to download anything accept from Big Fish Games & my bank to my checking account program.

I also never open attachments, even when my friends send them for this fear!

My computer for the past two days, when I was typing either e-mail to send or in a IM a g would appear randomly
 if I've open google and tried to type in the search line.  The letter g will randomly appear, and now it just continues as if I was just holding it down.

I thought my  keyboard maybe defective, so I unpluged it from computer and it still did it.

I run avast ever evening and have it set on High everything!

I've read many post and will keep doing so, see if it's a virus or my puter going wacky..  :o) or me!

I can say that while I'm running avast 4.7 home edition right now, it sounds like I'm sitting there with my finger on a key and it's just goes ding ding ding, though it's scanning!

Thanks for any help, I can run programs great, but this internal stuff goes over my head!!

Happy New Year
Thanx
I
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 04:52:25 AM by falar2me »

Spiritsongs

Re: Need help with an issue, not sure if virus. Thank You
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 07:22:05 AM »
 :)  Hi :

Even though I do most of my game playing on www.pogo.com, I had
     NEVER heard of "BigFish games" PRIOR to your Post . I went through many
     pages of a google "search" about this and saw several suspect Sites
     offering "Big Fish" ; do you ONLY download THEIR games from THEIR Site ?
     What is the SPECIFIC Name of your Operating System ? What security,
     other than Avast, do you have on your computer ? Hopefully you have at
     least 1 antiSPYWARE/antiTROJAN program, such as the FREE Version of
    "SUPERAntiSpyware" from www.superantispyware.com !?

falar2me

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:53:34 PM »
I only download from the main site, of Big Fish.

I ran avast, all evening, I found three different infections, two were TRJ. the other I don't remember at this time, I'm using my daughters lap top, this AM to check this site.

I stopped avast over nite while I was sleeping. I started it back early this morning and it's still making those ding ding sounds as avast is checking and the keyboard is unplugged, but still puts g's in the search line or any line when I was trying to log into here it wouldn't alow me to put my log in information in, just kept going ggggggggggggggggggggg...at last check at 6am.
I do not run any other programs but I guess I will now, I really thought avast was all I needed.
I run XP home edition
I have a sony vio .

Thanks again for the help!

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:55:56 PM by falar2me »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 03:28:52 PM »
For unknown infection symptoms, I recommend:

Scheduling a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot.

Scan with AVG Antispyware, SUPERantispyware like Spiritsongs posted, Spyware Terminator.
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

If you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here and, specially, scan and submit to on-line analysis the RunScanner log would help to identify the problem and the solution.
The best things in life are free.

falar2me

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:17:51 PM »
I shut down puter, and once it turned back on I had just enough time to type the word Avast into the search line before the ggg''s took over.  I got to the forum and was able to get the link superanitspyware and got it downloaded and ran it. I deleted everything, I never thought of keeping the log.... Avast is checking everything on my puter for the second time and it is taking awhile to do so.

As soon as I put my cursor up on the search engine line or the web address line the ggggggggggggggggg's won't stop!!!

So again, I'm not able to get over to avast to get the link for the runner program, but I will keep trying.
My computer is still doing the gggggggggggg's even in outlook express when I'm trying to type out mail, and now it won't let me into my Inbox , and goes straight to a game folder, I'm assuming that is because it starts with a g..

I thank you for all your help again.
Though I feel like a totaly idiot, because I don't understand any of this stuff!!!!

I was able to get on to avast site, through a link, and now downloading runner.
see what this does.

???
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 04:22:29 PM by falar2me »

Spiritsongs

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 08:06:22 PM »
 :)  Hi :

Rather than puting your cursor on the web address line, have you tried,
      as an alternative, pressing the "CTRL" & "o" ( the letter ) keys at the
      same time to type in the Address of the Site you want to go to !?
      If yes, what is the result ?